The LDR Surface Impoundment Study Risk Assessment Questionnaire, October 5, 1999
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) conducted a study of facilities which manage industrial waste in surface impoundments. Part of the study was mandated by Congress under the 1996 Land Disposal Program Flexibility Act. Congress asked EPA to characterize risks posed by managing wastewaters in surface impoundments that are regulated under the Clean Water Act, and to determine whether existing regulations adequately address risks that may be present. The scope of the study covered industrial wastewaters. The study did not, however, cover wastewaters that are classified as hazardous wastes under the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). EPA characterized the population of nonhazardous waste surface impoundments in the United States and estimate the potential human health and ecological risks from chemical releases from nonhazardous surface impoundments. EPA used mathematical models to represent the transport of chemicals from entry into surface impoundments to their uptake by a human or ecological receptor. While the models are simplified representations of the complex biological, chemical and physical processes occurring in the impoundments and the environment, the models require considerable data.
This action was approved under OMB control number 2050-0157, which expired 12/31/2001.
The questionnaire was distributed November 2, 1999. The Office of Solid Waste, OSW (renamed Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery, ORCR, on January 18, 2009) posted this information on this web site in order to give respondents extra time to assemble their information.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Certification the questionnare is true and complete (PDF) (1 pg, 4K)
- Background and instructions on filling out questionnaire (PDF) (6 pp, 18K)
- Facility and corporate information (PDF) (5 pp, 31K)
- Facility wastewater treatment overview & environmental setting (PDF) (13 pp, 43K)
- Surface impoundment design and operating information (PDF) (48 pp, 144K)
- Authority and confidentiality (PDF) (5 pp, 13K)
- Alphabetical and numerical list of chemical constituents of interest for this study (PDF) (18 pp, 39K)
- Reference table for exclusions and exemptions table of contents (PDF) (23 pp, 57K)
- Glossary of acronyms and technical terms (PDF) (4 pp, 14K)