Tools & Projects
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
WasteWise - A program that helps organizations eliminate costly municipal solid waste, benefitting both the bottom line and the environment
The Waste Minimization program offers the following tools:
- Chemical Management Services - A business model in which the service provider is paid based on the quality and quantity of services provided, not on the volume of chemicals sold. Chemical management services reduce chemical lifecycle costs, risks, and environmental impacts.
- Energy Recovery - Converting waste into useable fuel.
- Frequent Questions - About waste minimization.
- National Lead Free Wheel Weight Initiative (NLFWWI) - Reducing the amount of lead deposited on national roadways by providing safe alternatives for lead tire weights.
- Lean Manufacturing - A business model that focuses on eliminating waste while delivering quality products at the lowest cost to the manufacturer and consumer.
Assessing the Management of Lead in Scrap Metal and Electric Arc Furnace Dust (K061 Waste) (PDF) (91 pp, 1.2MB)
This study is a technical analysis of the sources of lead in electric arc furnace dust (RCRA listed waste K061). Electric arc furnaces are steel mills that typically use recycled scrap metal, which can be contaminated with lead, to make steel products.
The goal of the study was to find out where the lead contamination is coming from and how to remove it from scrap metal. The study found that:
- Residual lead is widely dispersed and, therefore, is difficult to remove; and
- Lead alloys and coatings contribute more to the lead in K061 than originally expected
This study also outlines best practices for managing lead in scrap metal for industries in the scrap metal supply chain.
Other EPA Programs
Design for the Environment - One of EPA's premier partnership programs. Design for the Environment works with individual industry sectors to promote integrating cleaner, cheaper, and smarter solutions into everyday business practices.
Environmental Management Systems make the environment an organizational priority and integrate environmental management throughout an organization while focusing on continual improvement.
Green Chemistry - EPA's Green Chemistry Program promotes innovative chemical technologies that reduce or eliminate the use or generation of hazardous substances in the design, manufacture, and use of chemical products.
Resource Management Systems -Resource management compensates waste contractors based on performance in achieving an organization's waste reduction goals rather than the volume of waste disposed.