Jump to main content.

Doing Business with Environmental Sciences

The Environmental Sciences Division acquires goods and services and sponsors research using a variety of extramural instruments, such as Contracts, Grants and Cooperative Agreements, Cooperative Research and Development Agreements, and Fellowships. We may also enter into agreements with other federal agencies, or with state, local or Indian tribal governments.

The National Center for Environmental Research conducts the Agency's Fellowship and Grants Programs.

The National Research Council Exiting EPA Disclaimercompetitively awards post-doctoral fellowships.

The National Network for Environmental Management Studies program is designed to provide students with an opportunity to work with environmental professionals in a variety of settings, obtain high-quality studies on EPA's high priority environmental and program management issues, and provide students with basic environmental research that may be used for a thesis or other school related activities. For NNEMS program information, please contact:

NNEMS National Program Manager
U.S. Environmental protection Agency (1707)
401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC 20460
(202) 260-5960


A contract is a bilateral agreement between the Government and another party wherein the Government agrees to exchange something of value for goods or services received. Government agency's must use a contract when the principal purpose of the transaction is to acquire, by purchase, lease, or barter, property or services for the Government's direct benefit or use. It is Environmental Science Division policy that all contracts be competed to the maximum extent possible. Competitive procedures are those which provide for "full and open" competition; that is, all responsible sources are permitted to compete and have an equal chance to win the contract. Check back for a descriptions of our current contracts.

All solicitations for work at ESD are announced in the Exiting EPA Disclaimer Federal Business Opportunities.

Procurement using simplified acquisition procedures may be utilized for goods and services costing $100,000 or less. We have authority for purchases up to $25,000. Simplified procurement actions above $25,000 are handled by our supporting Contracts Management Division. If you would like to be included on the "source lists" from which suppliers are solicited for simplified procurements, please provide information about your goods or services to the following addresses:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Attention: Purchasing
P.O. Box 93478
Las Vegas, NV 89193
Fax: 702/798-2380

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
ORD Service Center
Contracts Management Division (MD-33)
Research Triangle Park, NC 27711

Cooperative Research and Development Agreements

A CRADA is an agreement between one or more federal laboratories and one or more nonfederal parties. Under a CRADA, government laboratories may provide personnel, services, facilities, equipment or other resources (with or without reimbursement); however, no funds may be transferred to nonfederal parties. Nonfederal parties may provide funds, personnel, services, facilities, equipment or other resources, toward the conduct of specified research and development efforts which are consistent with the mission of the laboratory. Nonfederal collaborators may retain ownership rights to inventions or other forms of intellectual property made by their employees, and may obtain an exclusive or nonexclusive license for inventions made by federal laboratory employees. Commercially valuable information generated under a CRADA may be protected from public disclosure for a period of up to five years.

If you would like additional information on this program, please contact Laurel Schultz at 202-564-3917 or write to:

Office of Science Policy
Federal Technology Transfer Act Program
26 W. Martin Luther King Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268

Cooperative Agreements

The Environmental Sciences Division seeks to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with scientific and educational organizations, as authorized by statute, in subject areas related to the our research and development strategic plans and the laboratory's mission.

A cooperative agreement is the proper extramural instrument when the product is not for the direct benefit of the Government (assistance vs procurement) and substantial Federal involvement with the recipient during performance of the agreement is anticipated. Substantial involvement may include collaborative participation in the design, conduct, and interpretation of the research activity, project monitoring, review or approval of project phases, or joint publication of research results. Check back for a list of our current cooperative agreements.

Data Manager

Environmental Sciences | Research & Development
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Send questions or comments to the Information Desk
ESD Info Desk (contractor operated)

Local Navigation

Jump to main content.