You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA serves the public by promoting innovative, cost-effective cleanups at federal facilities and putting those facilities back to productive use. We work extensively with other federal agencies, state and local governments, and community representatives to ensure that facilities meet environmental standards and undergo redevelopment for both public- and private-sector reuse. Below, you will find links to various Success Stories highlighting environmental cleanup and reuse accomplishments at installations that are being turned over to local communities.
Accomplishments at sites across the country include:
- Transforming military installations into centers for business, industry, and education;
- Creating jobs through cleanup and reuse;
- Fostering partnerships among federal, state, and local governments;
- Providing recreational and open space; and
- Involving local communities in cleanup and reuse plans.
- Award Winning Urban Community Result of Collaboration and Team Work: Orlando Naval Training Center (PDF) (4 pp, 442K)
- Award-Winning Advisory Board Drives the Redevelopment of Former Air Station into Community Asset: Cecil Field Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, FL (PDF) (4 pp, 421K)
- Closed Defense Depot Transformed into Major Industrial Park; Provides Jobs and Services for Area Community: Memphis Defense Depot, Memphis, TN (PDF) (4 pp, 443K)
- Innovative Cleanup Leads to Navy's First EPA Ready for Reuse Determination: Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant - McGregor (PDF) (4 pp, 942K)
- Partnership Key Component to Redevelopment Success in Fort Worth: GSA Fort Worth Federal Center (PDF) (2 pp, 2.6MB)
- Reuse at Air Force Base Maintains Prior Employment Levels; Strengthens Community: England Air Force Base (PDF) (4 pp, 1.1MB)
- Reuse Success at Navy Sites: NSWC White Oak, Philadelphia Navy Yard and NAWC (PDF) (2 pp, 1.5 MB)
- Collaboration Leads to Early Cleanup Completion at Joliet Army Ammunition Plant (PDF) (2 pp, 3 MB)
- Community Essential to Successful Reuse at Former Nuclear Plant (PDF) (4 pp, 5 MB)
- Shared Interests Transform Naval Air Station into New Town Center at Glenview Naval Air Station (PDF) (4 pp, 2 MB)