You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more. If you need assistance accessing any of the PDFs, please contact Jyl Lapachin at (703) 603-0046 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 6, 2012
- On June 6, 2012, EPA uploaded new fact sheets regarding contaminants of concern and emerging contaminants that present unique issues and challenges to the environmental community in general and to FFRRO in particular.
January 30, 2012
- On January 30, 2012, EPA uploaded various Success Stories highlighting environmental cleanup and reuse accomplishments at installations that are being turned over to local communities.
December 22, 2011
- On December 22, 2011, EPA uploaded the Federal Facilities Forum Issue Paper: Site Characterization for Munitions Constituents (PDF) (170 pp, 7.9MB). This paper provides remedial project managers and other federal, state, and private personnel working on hazardous waste sites the technical information needed to make decisions regarding the nature of energetic residues on Department of Defense training ranges (and other munitions sites, such as Formerly Used Defense Sites), sampling strategies that provide representative samples, and analytical methods developed to characterize these samples.
December 14, 2011
- On December 14, 2011, EPA released the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Biennial Report Requirements for Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA) Response Actions (PDF) (8 pp, 2.2MB). This memorandum reaffirms the need for Regions to be aware of Biennial Reporting requirements under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and their applicability to the cleanup process under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA), as amended. Biennial Reporting requires Superfund sites that are Large Quantity Generators—and that ship hazardous waste offsite—to report by March 1 of every even-numbered year their hazardous waste management activities for the previous odd-numbered calendar year.
- On December 14, 2011, EPA and DoD released a joint recommendations document, which was authored by the DoD/EPA Goal Harmonization Workgroup. Recommendations Resulting From DoD/EPA Goal Harmonization Workgroup (PDF) (19 pp, 983K)
December 6, 2011
- On December 6, 2011, EPA released the Fiscal Year 2011 National Priorities List Program Snapshot.
August 1, 2011
- EPA has issued a policy, Program Priorities for Federal Facility Five-Year Review (PDF) (10 pp, 1.5MB), effective August 1, 2011
The policy memorandum describes management controls that will be implemented to ensure that the recommendations in the Five-Year Review reports are tracked, monitored and implemented; provides guidance to Remedial Project Managers to ensure that the reviews are completed on time; outlines how EPA makes an independent decision on protectiveness; and confirms that Five-Year Reviews are generally enforceable under Federal Facility Agreements.
July 27, 2010
- On July 27, 2010, EPA released the Munitions Response Guidelines, OSWER Directive 9200.1-101 (PDF) (33 pp, 446K)
March 9, 2007
- On March 9, 2007, EPA released the Docket Reference Manual: Federal Agency Hazardous Waste Compliance Docket (PDF) (31 pp, 317K)
March 2, 2007
- On March 2, 2007, EPA released the Transmittal of Guidance for Documenting and Reporting Performance in Achieving Land Revitalization (PDF) (3 pp, 554K) and the Guidance for Documenting and Reporting Performance in Achieving Land Revitalization (PDF) (56 pp, 859K)
February 12, 2007
- On February 12, 2007, EPA released the Department of Defense Instruction: Environmental Quality Systems (PDF) (9 pp, 59K)
January 25, 2007
- On January 25, 2007, EPA released the Program Priorities, Goals, Performance and Accomplishments web area, which contains relevant fact sheets, links, and information.
January 11, 2007
- On January 11, 2007, EPA released the Draft Munitions and Explosives of Concern Hazard Assessment (MEC HA) Guidance Document
November 20, 2006
- On November 20, 2006, EPA released the Inventory of EPA Federal Facility Cleanup and Transfer Policies and Guidance
November 14, 2006
- On November 14, 2006, EPA released the updated Sample Federal Facility Land Use Control ROD Checklist with Suggested Language (PDF) (5 pp, 36K)
- On November 8, 2006, EPA released the updated Compendium of Federal Facilities Cleanup Management Information
October 3, 2006
- On August 18, 2006, EPA released guidance to the regions in regards to Blank FOST/FOSL Submission Dates in CERCLIS (PDF) (2 pp, 343K).
September 15, 2006
- Part 2A(e): Electronic version of UFP-QAPP Workbook (505-B-04-900C). This Microsoft Word version provides automated assistance in completing the Worksheets in the Workbook. It is provided as a ZIP (compressed) file that must be extracted before setup. Check out the Instructions for Electronic UFP-QAPP Worksheets (PDF) (5 pp, 126K). Click on the following link to download the ZIP file: QAPP Workbook (ZIP) (4.6MB).
August 13, 2006
- DoD/EPA Joint Guidance on Streamlined Site Closeout and NPL Deletion Process for DoD Facilities (PDF) (6 pp, 117K) - This joint guidance focuses on streamlining and restructuring RACR and the deletion process.
- On July 31, 2006, EPA's Region 8 Office announced the deletion of 7,396 acres (11.5 square miles) of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal from the National Priorities List (NPL). This deletion will pave the way for the U.S. Army and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to more than double the current size of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, to approximately 19 square miles. With this deletion, nearly 80 percent of the original Rocky Mountain Arsenal has now been removed from the NPL. The arsenal is located 8 miles northeast of downtown Denver.
- Press Release: Massachusetts' First-In-The-Nation Perchlorate Standards Take Effect Today: Drinking Water, Cleanup Standards of 2 ppb Are Set to Protect Public Health (PDF) (1 pg, 146K) - July 28, 2006
July 21, 2006
- MEC HA Work Group Agenda & Meeting Minutes - MAY 2nd & 3rd>, 2006 - Tyndall AFB, FL (PDF) (7 pp, 42K)
- MEC HA Comment Review Minutes - March 28-30, 2006 - Huntsville, AL (PDF) (8 pp, 42K)
- The Superfund Community Involvement Toolkit is a comprehensive and practical tool for promoting successful community participation in the Superfund process. The Toolkit contains 47 tools, each of which describes activities that Superfund Site Teams have used successfully or provides information on available resources. The tools are listed in alphabetical order.
May 30, 2006
- On May 30, 2006, EPA issued guidance to the regions, giving official direction in regards to zeroing out property leases that have turned into transfers at Federal facilities: Property Lease Information at Federal Facilities in CERCLIS (PDF) (2 pp, 162K).
May 17, 2006
- U.S. Corps of Engineers (COE) Letters to California, Texas and Illinois Regarding Munitions on Closed Military Ranges (PDF) (4 pp, 165K) - October 21, 2005. This document provides EPA's views concerning military munitions left on closed ranges.
April 27, 2006
- On April 27, 2006, EPA issued Interim Guidance for EPA's Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Program. This guidance supersedes the February 1996 "EPA Guidance for Implementing the Fast-Track Cleanup Program at Closing or Realigning Military Bases." The 2006 Interim BRAC Guidance addresses EPA's role and responsibilities at both BRAC I - IV and BRAC V installations.
March 30, 2006
- This guidance, signed on March 30, 2006, provides recommendations on appropriate activities by EPA personnel involved with performance-based contracts of other federal organizations: OSWER Guidance 9272.0-21: Performance Based Contracting by Other Federal Agencies at Federal Facilities (PDF) (5 pp, 1.9MB)
March 21, 2006
- Under the Base Realignment and Closure Act of 2005 (BRAC), a number of communities have military installations that are slated to close. Turning Bases into Great Places: New Life for Closed Military Facilities outlines the steps for creating a redevelopment vision using smart-growth principles.