Federal Green Challenge
A GreenGov Initiative focused on Federal collaboration across the United States
What is a GreenGov Spotlight Community? When multiple federal partners located near each other work together to leverage regional resources and help achieve the goals of President Obama's Executive Order 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy and Economic Performance. A Spotlight Community demonstrates the benefit of a federal entity working with its neighbors, including local governments, area businesses, and non-profit organizations, to improve fleet management, increase renewable energy production and use, or enhance water conservation. The GreenGov Spotlight Communities may be in any phase of coordination, from idea development to measuring and reporting successes as part of their energy and sustainability commitments.
How do Spotlight Communities Benefit the Country?
- They help cut government costs, increase efficiency, reduce carbon emissions, leverage resources among different agencies, and show us what is possible when we work together.
- They demonstrate that a sustainable government is smart government.
- They benefit local communities by reducing demand on the local power grid, reduced road congestion, or conservation of potable water.
- They showcase projects throughout the federal government as models we can learn from and emulate, as recognized by the White House Council on Environmental Quality, for their leadership in sustainability efforts.
Who are the Spotlight Communities?
The communities selected to spotlight demonstrate how collaboration across Federal agencies on energy and sustainability can result in nationwide sustainability. Selected Spotlight Communities include 14 different agencies and include:
- Federal Bike to Work Month Challenges | From Seattle to the East Coast
- National Capital Region Climate Risks Preparation and
Adaptation Plan | Washington, D.C.
- Comparison of Non-Traditional WaterTreatment
Cooling Towers | Lakewood, CO
- Car Sharing | Chicago, IL
- Seattle Federal Executive Board’s Business Case for
Sustainability | Seattle, WA
- Federal Aggregated Solar Procurement Pilot | Northern CA
Hear Their Stories
Each Spotlight Community has an inspiring story to share. Join us by webinar as they share their stories.
- March 26 - Details »
Federal Bike to Work Month Challenges (PDF) (30 pp, 3.0M)
- April 30 - Details »
National Capital Region Climate Risks Preparation and Adaptation Plan (PDF) (67 pp, 4.6M)
- May 28 - Details »
Comparing Non-Traditional Water Treatment Cooling Towers (PDF) (46 pp, 1.6M)
- August 7 - Details »
Fleet Optimization, Car Sharing & Sustainability (PDF) (18 pp, 600K)
- November 6 - Details »
Seattle Federal Executive Board's Business Case for Sustainability (PDF) (31 pp, 2.8M)
- December 3 (11:00 AM-12:30 PM PST) Federal Aggregated Solar Procurement Project - Register Now! | Details »
Note: The GreenGov Spotlight Communities is not a part of EPA's Federal Green Challenge. These complimentary efforts both serve to lead by example to reduce the environmental impact of the Federal government.