Instead of wasting food and money, Rethink! Take the Food Recovery Challenge
How to Participate:
- Sign Up
- Go to the SMM Data Management System to register to participate in the Challenge.
- Once your account has been activated, choose the "Food Recovery Challenge" (FRC) and sign the participation agreement. Please see an example of participation agreement form.
- Assess It! Conduct an inventory of your food waste. Baseline data provides a starting point for setting goals and tracking progress. We recommend that your baseline data be representative of 12 prior months of food data. If you need assistance in developing your baseline, please contact the WasteWise HelpLine at 800.EPA.WISE (800.372.9473) or send email to email@example.com.
- Submit It: Baseline data must be entered and submitted through the SMM Data Management System within 90 days of registering for the Challenge. Choose from three food diversion categories: food waste prevention (eg. source reduction), donation, and/or recycling (eg. composting and anaerobic digestion). Don't forget to click the "submit" button in the database.
- Choose Your Actions: Choose the activities your organization plans to undertake. Examples are modifying food purchasing, changing food production and handling practices, reducing excessive portion size, donating to those in need, and recycling. Tools such as the logbook and food waste calculator can help here as well.
- Submit It: Goals must be entered and submitted through the SMM Data Management System within 90 days of registering for the Challenge. Identify a quantitative goal, expressed in tons for the current calendar year. Don't forget to click the "Submit" button in the database.
- Undertake the identified activities to reduce your food waste.
- Track your progress, report your food diversion results, and establish new goals annually using the SMM Data Management System . The reporting deadline extended through May 31, 2014 and is now closed. Don't forget to click the "submit" button in the database.