Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Gulf Ecology Division

Employment Opportunities


CURRENT VACANCIES - For information regarding EPA positions available at EPA's Gulf Ecology Division, contact the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory job Line at (800) 433-9633, or visit http://www.usajobs.gov.

EPA Post-Doctoral Program - The National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory (NHEERL) has an active post-doctoral research program with vacancies anticipated during the year. One or more such positions will be available at the Gulf Ecology Division. These positions are for up to three years, offer an annual salary range of $34,575 - $65,179, commensurate with qualifications, and come with a full benefits package including relocation expenses, health insurance, life insurance, retirement, and vacation and sick leave.

Student Contract positions
GED often has student contract openings for students and recent graduates (graduated within the past 24 months). These contracts give students the opportunity to acquire hands-on experience in their field of study while working with EPA scientist/mentors for up to two years. The contracts are generally written for 12 months, with an option for an additional 12 months. Information on these positions and current solicitations can be found at the web links below.

Informational Webpage
Frequently Asked Questions

Current Solicitations - All National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory research divisions (health and ecology) post contract announcements on this site. This site should be visited at least weekly because announcements usually have a two-week period for applications to be received.

Student volunteers
EPA accepts student volunteers at anytime. Student volunteer service provides high school or college students with an opportunity to obtain work experience related to their academic program, explore career options, and develop personal and professional skills. To be eligible to participate as a volunteer, students must be at least 18 years old and enrolled at least half-time in an accredited high school, trade school, technical or vocational school, a junior or community college, a four-year college or university, or any other accredited educational institution. Students may work during the school year or during summer or other vacation periods. Students interested in volunteering should provide the following: a letter expressing interest in volunteering, the type of work (s)he is interested in doing; and his/her availability; a resume describing past/present school and work experiences; and a copy of his/her latest transcripts or other proof of student status. Students should submit this information to John Gazoo at gazoo.john@epa.gov.


Summer Employment Program
The Summer Employment Program creates training and work opportunities for persons available for work only during the summer months. These positions begin in mid-May and end September 30. Work ranges from office support occupations to positions in professional fields. To work under the Summer Program, you must:

  • Be at least 16 years of age at the time of appointment;
  • Qualify for the position based on experience and/or education; and
  • Be a citizen of the United States.

Announcements for summer employment are generally advertised through the Office of Personnel Management on the Internet at http://www.usajobs.gov.exit EPAin February or March each year. For more information on the summer hire program, see http://www.opm.gov/employ/students/index.htm.exit EPA


Internships, Fellowships, and Student Programs are available to provide interesting opportunities for new talent to experience environmental research and training.

Guest Worker is defined as an individual from private industry, academia, the public and foreign governments or institutions who seek to cooperate in the form of access to our facilities. Reasons for access vary and may include such things as the need to use scientific equipment or laboratory space, conduct research, access databases and library facilities, or learn and become proficient (be trained) in a scientific method or experimental procedure. The GED Division Director has approval authority for guest workers that meet all of the following criteria: 1) the term of the visit, including any extensions, is less than or equal to 3 consecutive years, 2) the guest worker is a U.S. citizen, and 3) the guest worker is from a non-profit private or public entity. For further information, contact Dr. Stephen Jordan, Special Assistant to the Director, at (850) 934-9350 or email jordan.steve@epa.gov .

Jump to main content.