- Ashtabula, OH (Ashtabula County)
- Ashtabula AOC
- Status: Cleanup Completed, 2008
Great Lakes National Program Office
Ashtabula River Legacy Act Cleanup
In 2013, a Great Lakes Legacy Act project was completed that dredged almost 11,000 cubic yards of contaminated sediment from the Ashtabula River North Slip. This project removed polychlorinated biphenyls and diesel-range organic contamination so that the long term restoration goals for the AOC would be achieved. To ensure long term protectiveness of the cleanup, an additional layer of sand was placed following dredging. The Ohio EPA served as the nonfederal sponsor of this project. This project addressed the last remaining area of contaminated sediment in the AOC.In 2006 and 2007, work was completed on the Ashtabula River which removed 25,000 pounds of hazardous PCBs and other contaminants from the Ashtabula river bottom. It was the first cleanup project in Ohio funded by the federal Great Lakes Legacy Act, and the largest of the four Legacy Act projects funded to date.
Half of the funding for this $50 million project was from the Legacy Act and the other half from the Ashtabula City Port Authority in cooperation with other public and private entities, including the Ashtabula River Cooperation Group II, a group of private companies. The state of Ohio provided $7 million for the project. Other organizations, including U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, played important roles.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Sixth Graders Wrap up Great Lakes Legacy Act Ashtabula River Habitat Project with Native Plants - May 2010
- Ashtabula River Cleanup Complete - August 2008
- Fact Sheet: Ashtabula River Cleanup (PDF) (2pp, 108K) - May 2008
- Dredging of Ashtabula River to resume this month - March 2007
- Ashtabula River dredging has begun (PDF)- September 2006
- Fact Sheet: Ashtabula River Sediment Disposal Landfill (PDF) (1pg, 138K) - September 2006
- EPA Administrator Johnson and Governor Taft celebrate start of Ashtabula River cleanup; $50 million project is Ohio's first under Legacy Act - June 2006
- Fact Sheet: Ashtabula River Cleanup Begins; Contaminated Sediment to be Removed (PDF) (2pp, 119K) - June 2006
- EPA, state and local partners will fund $50 million cleanup of Ashtabula River; nation's largest Legacy Act cleanup - December 2005
- Fact Sheet: Great Lakes Legacy Act Partnership Spurs River Cleanup Ashtabula River Area of Concern (PDF) (2pp, 259K) - December 2005