DRAFT Communication Strategy for the Barataria-Terrebonne Shellfish Challenge Project
Message/Goal: To Increase Public
Awareness and Understanding of General Shellfish
Targeted Audiences: Homeowners, Community
leaders, general public.
1) Review existing publications, videos, p.s.a.'s and other general shellfish issues outreach materials available through local agencies and organizations. Review of existing materials to include the following:
Gulf of Mexico Program
Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program
Louisiana University Marine Consortium
Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service
Louisiana Sea Grant
Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality
(Non-Point Source Division)
Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals
2) Prepare general "shellfish issues" information packet for local media.
3) Contact local newspapers, newsletters, and magazines to generate general "shellfish issue" articles and encourage a possible shellfish series.
4) Organize joint press conferences (GMP/BTNEP/NOAA) and "field trips" with media to announce progress to date.
5) Develop brief "Question and Answer" Shellfish Challenge fact sheets for Louisiana local officials and Shellfish Challenge WET team members.
6) Continued participation
in Community/Public Awareness events, festivals,
1) Organize an outreach committee with local area representatives to develop specialized information campaigns targeted towards each project area in the Barataria-Terrebonne basin.
2) Establish review and approval procedures for all outreach materials and events.