Ten U.S. agencies administer more than 140 programs in funding and managing restoration and protection of the Great Lakes Basin. In addition, governance of the Great Lakes system is shared with eight U.S. states, nearly 40 Tribal Nations, more than half a dozen major metropolitan areas, and numerous county and local governments. Internationally, governance of the Great Lakes system is shared with Canada.
- US Agencies: EPA, the Interagency Task Force, and other federal government agencies
- States: The states bordering the Great Lakes
- Canada: Environment Canada and the Province of Ontario
- Tribal Nations: Native American tribes
- Others: Information partners, commissions, public forums, and education/research groups