Amy P. Mucha
Phone: 312 886-6785
Trenton Channel Legacy Act Project
Upper Trenton Channel Project Community Meeting
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Wyandotte Boat Club
1 Pine St
EPA and its partners have completed a feasibility study for cleaning up contaminated sediment in the Upper Trenton Channel of the Detroit River as part of the Great Lakes Legacy Act. This study reviewed and evaluated cleanup options to manage around 240,000 cubic yards of contaminated sediment. EPA will accept public comments on the proposed cleanup plan until Feb. 15, 2014.
The feasibility study is a significant step toward restoring both the heavily industrialized Trenton Channel and eventually the entire Detroit River Area of Concern.
- Executive summary of final focused feasibility study on Upper Trenton Channel with proposed cleanup plan (PDF) (4pp, 33K) September 2013
- Final focused feasibility study on the Upper Trenton Channel (PDF) (875pp, 72MB) September 2013
- View hard copies of the study at:
- Bacon Memorial Library, 45 Vineyard Street, Wyandotte, MI
- Riverview Library, 14300 Sibley Street, Riverview, MI
After a cleanup plan is approved, design of the project should be completed by the end of 2014 and will use data from samples that we will collect in the spring of 2014.
Part of the Detroit River AOC
The Detroit River is a 32-mile international waterway linking Lake St. Clair and the upper Great Lakes to Lake Erie. The Detroit River Area of Concern, or AOC, is shared between the United States and Canada. AOCs were designated by Canada and the U.S. as Great Lakes locations damaged by historical industrial and municipal pollution. Forty-three AOCs have been identified: 26 located entirely within the United States; 12 located wholly within Canada; and five shared by both countries. Two Canadian AOCs have been cleaned up and “delisted,” and one U.S. AOC has been delisted, leaving 30 locations on the American side of the border.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- New Partnership Spearheads Sediment Study (PDF) (2 pg, 409K) April 2011
- Trenton Channel Remedial Investigation Report Interim Final (PDF) (412 pp, 10.9MB) July 2010