EPA usually presents one Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award in each of these five categories.
- Focus Area 1: Greener Synthetic Pathways
- Focus Area 2: Greener Reaction Conditions
- Focus Area 3: The Design of Greener Chemicals
- Small Business* (for a technology in any of the three focus areas developed by a small business)
- Academic (for a technology in any of the three focus areas developed by an academic researcher)
* A small business for purposes of this award must have annual sales of less than $40 million, including all domestic and foreign sales by the company, its subsidiaries, and its parent company.
Read on about the Selection Criteria.