Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Region 2 Caribbean Environmental Protection Division
Total Facility Area: 22,291 rentable square feet (RSF)
Estimated Personnel: 62 EPA personnel
Energy Consumption: not available
Btu per RSF per year: not available
Water Consumption: not available
Gallons per RSF per Year: not available
In February 2012, EPA Region 2's Caribbean Environmental Protection Division (CEPD) moved into the top floor of City View Plaza, a recently built multi-tenant office building in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. This location was specifically selected to showcase green building strategies and demonstrate how local citizens could incorporate sustainability, energy efficiency, and environmental performance into their daily lives.
The building achieved LEED® for Commercial Interiors (LEED-CI) Version 2009 Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) in October 2012. The CEPD office space is the first LEED-CI project in Puerto Rico to attain Gold certification.
- All eligible equipment and appliances including computers, printers, and refrigerators are ENERGY STAR® qualified. EPA also installed two new, ENERGY STAR qualified air conditioning units to meet the extra cooling needs required in the network and security rooms.
- EPA reduced energy use associated with lighting by incorporating daylighting strategies, installing energy-efficient overhead lighting, and installing daylight and occupancy sensors. Light-reflective colors, higher ceilings on exterior window walls, and translucent glass in office partitions and workstation panels allow natural light to reach interior spaces.
- Daylight sensors on 50 percent of the lighting load dim ceiling fixtures when sufficient sunlight enters the space.
- Occupancy sensors regulate light-emitting diode (LED) task lighting in workstations and 100 percent of the overhead lighting, turning lights off when occupants are not present.
- EPA offsets 100 percent of the electricity CEPD uses with renewable energy certificates (RECs).
- High-efficiency toilets, urinals, faucets, and showerheads reduce water consumption by 36 percent compared to conventional models.
- A 150,000-gallon cistern captures rainwater and air handler condensate water, which is used to meet 100 percent of the building's irrigation needs.
- To encourage alternative modes of transportation, EPA installed lockers for bikes and a shower stall for cyclists to use.
- The City View Plaza building is centrally located. A bus stop is located across the street from the main entrance.
Waste Reduction and Recycling - Construction
- During the office renovation period, EPA recycled 56 percent of its construction debris and diverted nearly 45,000 pounds of furniture used in its former office space from landfills by donating it to other federal and local agencies in the Caribbean region.
- The building showcases sustainable interior design features with low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions, 100 percent recyclable carpet flooring, workstation furniture that is Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturer's Association (BIFMA) "level 2" certified, and Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) Gold certified computer equipment.
- CEPD developed an environmental management system (EMS) to reduce its environmental impacts and increase its operating efficiency.
- EPA worked with the building owner to develop a Building Operations Plan that addresses solid waste management, green cleaning, integrated pest management, and indoor air quality.
For More Information About This Facility
For more details about the facility's environmental features, view the Greening the Caribbean: EPA's Region 2 Puerto Rico Office (PDF) (2 pp, 1.7MB, About PDF) green report. A Spanish version of this document is also available: Reverdeciendo el Caribe: Oficina de Puerto Rico, EPA Región 2 (PDF) (2 pp, 1.4MB, About PDF).
Jennifer B. Thatcher (email@example.com)
EPA Region 2
290 Broadway, 26th floor
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 637-3593