Region 3 Office
Total Facility Area: 307,847 rentable square feet (RSF)
Estimated Personnel: 1,133 EPA personnel
Energy Consumption: 23,172,169,925 Btu per year (EPA share)
Btu per RSF per Year: 75,272
Water Consumption: 2,682,321 gallons per year (EPA share)
Gallons per RSF per Year: 8.7
All energy and water data are reported as of FY 2012.
EPA's Mid-Atlantic regional office is responsible for programs in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Headquartered in Philadelphia, the region has field operations and laboratories in Wheeling, West Virginia; Annapolis and Fort Meade, Maryland; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The region's major program divisions are Air Protection, Environmental Assessment and Innovation, Hazardous Site Cleanup, Waste and Chemicals Management, Water Protection, and the Chesapeake Bay Program.
Unique Environmental Features
- The building in which the Region 3 Office is located was awarded the ENERGY STAR® in 2008 with a score of 77, in 2009 with a score of 84, and in 2010 with a score of 85. In 2011, the Region 3 Office earned the ENERGY STAR again with a score of 79.
- Energy-saving features include built-in solar shades on the east, west, and southern exposures; full-height glass on the northern exposure; occupancy sensors for floor lighting; and a central chiller and steam plant with a building automation system (BAS) and air-side free cooling.
- EPA offsets 100 percent of the electricity consumption at the Region 3 Office with renewable energy certificates (RECs) purchased through the Agency's blanket green power contract. Learn more about EPA's blanket green power contracts.
- Restroom fixtures are high-efficiency, water conserving products.
- To reduce paper use, all printers and copiers capable of double-sided printing have their defaults set to duplex printing.
- The office is located just above one of Philadelphia's main regional rail and subway stations.
- Secure, interior bicycle parking facilities and onsite showers encourage other alternative commuting options.
- Region 3 has completed self-declaration for its environmental management system.
For More Information About This Facility
Region 3's Pollution Prevention program has developed a Green Building website containing general information and resources.
U.S. EPA Region 3 (3PM20)
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone (within the region): (800) 438-2474
Phone (outside the region): (215) 814-5616