EPA's Actions to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions
In This Section
EPA is taking the following actions to meet federal requirements, demonstrate leadership in greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reductions, and improve its understanding of its environmental footprint:
- Continuing to improve the quality and accuracy of its Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions inventory and to expand the breadth of its Scope 3 GHG emissions inventory.
- Performing comprehensive energy evaluations at the Agency’s laboratories to identify and implement energy conservation projects with the greatest potential for reducing energy consumption and associated GHG emissions.
- Purchasing green power and renewable energy certificates (RECs) to reduce the environmental impacts associated with the generation of electricity consumed by EPA’s facilities Agencywide.
- Incorporating green building principles into the design, construction, operation, and acquisition of the Agency’s facilities.
- Investigating cost-effective opportunities for installing onsite renewable energy technologies based on an Agencywide onsite renewable energy feasibility report.
- Continuing to enhance existing waste diversion strategies and goals to minimize the GHG emissions resulting from waste disposal practices such as incineration or landfills.
- Reducing employee business travel where possible and promoting the use of videoconferencing equipment as an alternative to travel.
- Enhancing telework opportunities for employees to reduce the environmental impact of employees' commutes.