Green Vehicle Guide
Consider a SmartWay Vehicle
Finding Environmentally Friendly Vehicles the SmartWay
Purchasing the most environmentally friendly vehicle has never been easier. To save fuel, money and the environment, just look for the SmartWay mark.
What are SmartWay Certified Vehicles?
Each model year, EPA rates every new car, truck, and SUV for greenhouse gas and smog-forming emissions on scales of 1-10. To earn the SmartWay designation, a vehicle must receive a combined score from both scales that is much better than the average vehicle. SmartWay Elite certification is given to only those vehicles that attain the highest scores on both scales. SmartWay Elite vehicles are the very best environmental performers.
EPA updates the greenhouse gas and smog rating thresholds annually. We also periodically update the SmartWay criteria so that we can maintain our goal of certifying the top 20 percent cleanest most efficient vehicles.
You can also visit fueleconomy.gov to find a list of SmartWay certified vehicles going back to model year 2000.
Earning SmartWay Certification
SmartWay certification is based on the greenhouse gas (GHG) and smog ratings found on all new vehicle fuel economy labels.
- Model Year 2015 (PDF) (1p, 221K, EPA 420-B-14-005, January 2014, About PDF)
- Model Year 2014 (PDF) (1p, 237K, EPA 420-B-13-013, February 2013, About PDF)
- Model Year 2013 (PDF) (1p, 236K, EPA 420-B-13-014, January 2012, About PDF)
- Model Year 2011 & 2012 (PDF)* (1p, 237K, EPA 420-B-13-015, January 2010, About PDF)
- Model Year 2009 & 2010 (PDF)* (1p, 328K, EPA 420-B-13-016, January 2008, About PDF)
- Model Year 2008 & Earlier (PDF)* (1p, 237K,EPA 420-B-13-017, January 2007, About PDF)
*Prior to MY 2013, SmartWay was based on the greenhouse gas and air pollution scores found on an earlier version of the Green Vehicle Guide.
|Looking for information on the SmartWay program for freight movement? The SmartWay Transport Partnership program helps businesses move goods in the cleanest most efficient way possible.|