Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sediments (ARCS) Reports
Source: Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sediments Program--FY93 Accomplishments [Fact Sheet]. 1993. Environmental Protection Agency/Great Lakes National Program Office. Chicago, Ill.
The 1987 amendments to the Clean Water Act, in Section 118(c)(3), authorized the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Great Lakes National Program Office (GLNPO) to coordinate and conduct a 5-year study and demonstration project relating to the appropriate treatment of toxic pollutants in bottom sediments.
The Act specified five areas requiring priority consideration in conducting demonstration projects:
- Saginaw Bay, Michigan;
- Sheboygan Harbor, Wisconsin;
- Grand Calumet River, Indiana;
- Ashtabula River, Ohio;
- and Buffalo River, New York.
To fulfill the requirements of the Act, GLNPO initiated the Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sediments (ARCS) Program. In addition, the Great Lakes Critical Programs Act of 1990 amended the Section, now 118(c)(7), by extending the Program by one year and specifying completion dates for certain interim activities.
These technical reports contain results of assessments and other studies of contaminated sediments that GLNPO did between 1988 and1994. These studies focus the five priority areas of concern (AOCs) listed above.
There you can download a PDF of the document, or order a printed copy if it's available.
I. Guidance Documents
- ARCS 1992 Work Plan - EPA 905-R92-100 1992
- ARCS Assessment Guidance Document - EPA 905-B94-002 August 1994
- ARCS Final Summary Report - EPA 905-S94-001 August 1994
- ARCS Remediation Guidance Document - EPA 905-B94-003 October 1994
- Cleaning Up Contaminated Sediment Citizen's Guide - EPA 905-K95-001 January 1995
- Detection of Genotoxins in Contaminated Sediments: An Evaluation of a New Test for Complex Environmental Mixtures - EPA 905-R95-002 January 1995
- ARCS Program Quality Assurance Program Plan Project Summary - EPA 600-SR93-242 April 1994
- ARCS Risk Assessment and Modeling Overview Document - EPA 905-R93-007 December 1993
- ARCS Assessment of Sediments in the Buffalo River Area of Concern - EPA 905-R96-011 July 1996
- Estimating Contaminant Losses from Components of Remediation Alternatives for Contaminated Sediments - EPA 905-R96-001 March 1996
II. ARCS Documents
A. Human Health
- Baseline Human Health Risk Assessment: Ashtabula River, Ohio, Area of Concern - EPA 905-R92-007A December 1992
- Baseline Human Health Risk Assessment: Buffalo River, Ohio, Area of Concern - EPA 905-R93-008 December 1993
- Baseline Human Health Risk Assessment: Grand Calumet River/Indiana Harbor Canal, Indiana, Area of Concern - EPA 905-R94-025 October 1994
- Baseline Human Health Risk Assessment: Saginaw River, Michigan, Area of Concern - EPA 905-R92-008 December 1992
- Baseline Human Health Risks Resulting from PCB Contamination at the Sheboygan River, Wisconsin, Area of Concern - EPA 905-R93-001 February 1993
B. Bench Scale Testing
- Bench-Scale Evaluation of Bioremediation for the Treatment of Sediments from the Ashtabula, Buffalo, Saginaw and Sheboygan Rivers - EPA 905-R96-012 July 1996
- Bench-Scale Evaluation of RCC's Basic Extractive Sludge Treatment (B.E.S.T.®.;) Process on Contaminated Sediments from the Buffalo, Saginaw, and Grand Calumet Rivers EPA 905-R94-010 October 1994
- Bench-Scale Evaluation of Sediment Treatment Technologies--Summary Report EPA 905-R94-023 October 1994
- Bench-Scale Evaluation of SoilTech's Anaerobic Thermal Process Technology on Contaminated Sediments from the Buffalo and Grand Calumet Rivers EPA 905-R94-009 October 1994
- Bench-Scale Evaluation of ReTeC's Thermal Desorption Technology on Contaminated Sediments from the Ashtabula River - EPA 905-R94-008 August 1994
- Bench-Scale Evaluation of Zimpro's Wet Air Oxidation Process on Contaminated Sediments from the Grand Calumet River - EPA 905-R94-007 May 1994
C. Information Summaries
- Biological And Chemical Assessment of Contaminated Great Lakes Sediment EPA-905-R93-006 December 1993
- An Evaluation of Solidification/Stabilization Technology for Buffalo River Sediment - EL-91-11 (PDF) (58 pp, 2.1 MB) May 1991
- Hazard Ranking of Contaminated Sediment Based on Chemical Analysis, Laboratory Toxicity Tests, and Benthic Community Structure: Method of Prioritizing Sites for Remedial Action - EPA 905-R94-024 October 1994
- Information Summary, Area of Concern: Ashtabula River, Ohio - EL 90 22 (PDF) (128 pp, 3.7 MB) December 1990
- Information Summary, Area of Concern: Buffalo River, New York - EL-91-9 (PDF) (185 pp, 6.3 MB) March 1991
- Information Summary, Area of Concern: Grand Calumet River, Indiana - EL 91-10 (PDF) (202 pp, 5.7 MB) March 1991
- Information Summary, Area of Concern: Saginaw River and Saginaw Bay EL-91-7 (PDF) (355 pp, 9.5 MB) March 1991
- Mineral Processing Pretreatment of Contaminated Sediments - EPA 905-R94-022 October 1994
- Model Data Requirements and Mass Loading Estimates for the Buffalo River Mass Balance Study - EPA 905-R94-005 May 1994
- Pilot-Scale Demonstration of Sediment Washing for the Treatment of Saginaw River Sediments EPA 905-R94-019 July 1994
- Pilot-Scale Demonstration of Solvent Extraction for the Treatment of Grand Calumet River Sediments EPA 905-R94-003 January 1994
- Pilot-Scale Demonstration of Thermal Desorption for the Treatment of Ashtabula River Sediments - EPA 905-R94-021 August 1994
- Pilot-Scale Demonstration of Thermal Desorption for the Treatment of Buffalo River Sediments - EPA 905-R93-005 - December 1993
- Pollutant Loadings to the Buffalo River Area of Concern from Inactive Hazardous Waste Sites
EPA 905-R94-006 May 1994
- Review and Synthesis of Bioassessment Methodologies for Freshwater Contaminated Sediments - EL-90-2 (PDF) (39 pp, 1.7 MB) January 1990
- Review of Removal, Containment and Treatment Technologies for Remediation of Contaminated Sediment in the Great Lakes - EL-90-25 (PDF) (310 pp, 14.4 MB) December 1990
Data Acquisition/Collection Summary
Data was collected, analyzed, and distributed by participating project-associated agencies and contractors. The reports in this collection were generated by GLNPO staff and the following parties: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACE), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U.S. Department of the Interior, EPA Regions II, III, and V, Great Lakes State Agencies, numerous universities, and public interest groups.
- ODES (Ocean Data Evaluation System) User's Guide - EPA 50389-007 December 1990 - contains ARCS data
- Region V Sediment Inventory
- National Sediment Inventory (Contaminated Sediment Management Strategy)
Algae, Aquatic Plants, Assessment, Bacteria, Contaminants, DDT, Fish, Invertebrates, Mass Balance Modeling, Metals, Models, Organo-metals, PCBs, Pesticides, Polychlorinated Biphenyls, Remediation, Risk Assessment, Sediments, Technologies, Toxic Chemicals, Toxic Cleanup, Human and Environmental Health, Land and Freshwater Resources.