Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Timothy M. Barzyk
Title: Research Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure Modeling Research Branch
Timothy’s main research areas are cumulative risk, environmental justice and sustainability. They each have many components, and Timothy is generally interested in them all. In terms of application to his work, he focuses primarily on how people are exposed to multiple chemical and non-chemical stressors, and develop methods to help identify these stressors and explore options for reducing exposure to them.
- Ph.D., Geophysical Sciences, University of Chicago, 2006
- M.S., Environmental Science & Public Policy, Irving B. Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago, 2002
- B.S., Geology with Mathematics minor, Indiana State University, 1998
- Chair of Environmental Justice Sub-Panel, EPA Cumulative Risk Assessment Technical Panel for the Risk Assessment Forum, 2010-present
- Principle Investigator for Annual Performance Measure: Assessment of the application of tools and methods to case study communities
- Co-Chair, Aligning EPA Research & Needs to Advance the Science and Practice of Cumulative Risk Assessment, A Scientist-to-Scientist Workshop, Session on Community-Based Cumulative Risk Assessment, 2009
- Facilitative Leadership Management Training, 2010
- Research Physical Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL, Research Triangle Park, NC 2007-present
- Post-Doctoral Physical Scientist, U.S. EPA, ORD, NERL, Research Triangle Park, NC 2006-2007
- Intern, Carlson Environmental, Chicago, IL 2000-2001
- Field Technician, Handex Consulting & Remediation, LaPorte, IN 2000
- Barzyk TM, Ciesielski AJ, Isakov V, Baldauf RW, Tian N (2011). Riding the Highway to Cumulative Impacts: An Approach to Characterize Various Exposure and Environmental Effects from Highways and Traffic. International Society of Exposure Science 21st Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Barzyk TM, Perlmutt L, Dana G, Martin L, Foster S, Bollweg G (2011). Integrating Cumulative Risk and Environmental Justice Assessments to Guide Decision-Making, Promote Stakeholder Involvement and Assess Cumulative Impacts: The CRA-EJ Wizard. Society for Risk Analysis, Annual Meeting, Charleston, SC.
- Barzyk TM, Perlmutt L, Dana G, Martin L, Foster S, Bollweg G (2011). Integrating Cumulative Risk and Environmental Justice Assessments to Guide Decision-Making, Promote Stakeholder Involvement and Assess Cumulative Impacts: The CRA-EJ Wizard. United States Society for Ecological Economics, Biennial Meeting, East Lansing, MI.
- Barzyk TM, Zartarian V, Schultz B, Geller A (2011). EPA’s C-FERST: Community Focused Exposure and Risk Screening Tool. Technical Demonstration, U.S. EPA Community Involvement Training Conference, “Community Involvement in the 21st Century: Embracing Diversity, Expanding Engagement, Utilizing Technology,” Arlington, VA.
- Barzyk TM, Zartarian V, Geller A, Schultz B, Perlmutt L, White B, Millard M (2010). CARE Roadmap + C-FERST = Useful Information. Community Action for a Renewed Environment Project Officer Training, Boston, MA.
- Barzyk TM, Zartarian V, Schultz B (2010). EPA Community-Focused Exposure and Risk Screening Tool: C-FERST. National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences, Partnerships for Environmental and Public Health Annual Meeting.
- Barzyk TM, White BM, Ciesielski A, Perlmutt L, Millard M, Harris F, et al. (2011) Application of Tools and Databases to Community-Level Assessments of Exposure, Health and the Environment with Case Study Examples. EPA Report EPA/600/R-11/120
- Barzyk TM, White BM, Millard M, Martin M, Perlmutt LD, Harris F, Nguyen P, Walts A, Geller A (2011). Linking Socio-Economic Status (SES), Adverse Health Outcome, and Environmental Pollution Information to Develop a Set of Environmental Justice Indicators with Three Case Study Applications. Environmental Justice 4(3): 171-177.
- Barzyk TM, Ciesielski A, Shores RC, Thoma ED, Seila RL, Isakov V, Baldauf RW (2011). Associations between Volatile Organic Compounds and a Tracer Gas Surrogate in a Near-Road Environment. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, In press.
- Hammond D, Conlon K, Barzyk T, Chahine T, Zartarian V, Schultz B (2011). Assessment and Application of National Environmental Databases and Mapping Tools at the Local Level to Two Community Case Studies. Risk Analysis, 31 (3), 475-487.
- Zartarian V, Schultz B, Barzyk T, Smuts M, Hammond D, Medina-Vera M, Geller AM (2011 – In Press). The EPA’s Community-Focused Exposure and Risk Screening Tool (C-FERST) and Its Potential Use for Environmental Justice Efforts. American Journal of Public Health, 101 No. S1.
- Barzyk TM (2010). Tools to Assess Community-Based Cumulative Risk and Exposures. 2010 McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology.
Timothy M. Barzyk
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709