Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Melinda R. Beaver
Title: Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Process Modeling Research Branch
Melinda’s current research focus includes the investigation and characterization of measurement methods for gas-phase criteria pollutants. This work supports the Federal Reference Methods (FRM) research program. She is also focused on understanding the formation and partitioning of multifunctional organic compounds resulting from atmospheric oxidation of VOCs. This work ultimately supports atmospheric chemical mechanism development. Melinda’s other research interests include work to understand the impact of anthropogenic influences on the oxidative processes in areas of high biogenic VOC emissions.
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2008
- B.S., Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Asheville, 2003
- B.S., Environmental Studies, University of North Carolina at Asheville, 2003
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Physical Scientist, USEPA, RTP, NC 2011-present
- Postdoctoral Scholar, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 2009-2011
- Research Assistant, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO 2004-2008
- Teaching Assistant, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO 2003-2004
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA)
Select Awards and Honors:
- Atmospheric Science Collaborations and Enriching Networks (ASCENT) workshop participant, 2010
- Atmospheric Chemistry Colloquim for Emerging Senior Scientists (ACCESS) invited participant, 2009
- EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Graduate Research Fellowship Recipient, 2005-2008
- Graduate Teaching Excellence Award for General Chemistry Laboratory and Instrumental Analysis Laboratory courses, 2004
- Beaver, M.R., Kronmiller, K.G., and Long, R.W., Characterization and Development of Methods for Ambient NO2. National Air Quality Conference – Ambient Monitoring, Denver, Colorado; May 2012. (talk)
- Beaver, M.R., Kronmiller, K.G., Long, R.W., Investigation of New Measurement Technologies for True Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2). US EPA/ORD/NERL/HEASD Work in Progress Seminar, RTP, North Carolina; November 2011. (talk)
- Beaver, M.R., St. Clair, J.M, Spencer, K.M., Pusede, S.E., Woolridge, P.J., Cohen, R.C., Wennberg, P.O., CIMS measurements of gas-phase acids during CalNex-SJV. CalNex Data Analysis Workshop, Sacramento, California; May 2011. (poster)
- Beaver, M.R., St. Clair, J.M, Paulot, F., Spencer, K.M., Crounse, J.D., Min, K.E., Pusede, S.E., LaFranchi, B.W., Cohen, R.C., Wennberg, P.O., Organic nitrates from isoprene during BEARPEX-2009. American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, California; December 2010. (talk)
- Mao, J.; Ren, X.; Zhang, L.; VanDuin, D.M.; Cohen, R.C.; Park, J.H-.; Goldstein, A.H.; Paulot, F.; Beaver, M.R.; Crounse, J.D.; Wennberg, P.O.; DiGangi, J.P.; Henry, S.B.; Keutsch, F.N.; Park, C.; Schade, G.W.; Wolfe, G.M.; Thornton, J.A.; and Brune, W.H., Insights into hydroxyl measurements and atmospheric oxidation in a California forest, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 8009-8020, 2012.
- Beaver, M. R.; St. Clair, J. M.; Paulot, F.; Spencer, K. M.; Crounse, J. D.; LaFranchi, B. W.; Min, K. E.; Pusede, S. E.; Woolridge, P. J.; Schade, G. W.; Park, C.; Cohen, R.C.; Wennberg, P. O., Importance of biogenic precursors to the budget of organic nitrates during BEARPEX 2009: Observations of multifunctional organic nitrates by CIMS and TD-LIF. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 5733-5785, 2012.
- Wolfe, G.M.; Crounse, J.D.; Parrish, J.D.; St. Clair, J.M.; Beaver, M.R.; Paulot, F.; Yoon, T.P.; Wennberg, P.O.; and Keutsch, F.N.; Photolysis, OH reactivity and ozone reactivitiy of a proxy for isoprene-derived hydroperoxyenals (HPALDs), Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 14, 7276-7286, 2012.
- Beaver, M. R.; Freedman, M. A.; Hasenkopf, C. A.; Tolbert, M. A., Cooling Enhancement of Aerosol Particles Due to Surfactant Precipitation. J. Phys. Chem. A 2010, 114 (26), 7070-7076.
- Mao, J.; Jacob, D. J.; Evans, M. J.; Olson, J. R.; Ren, X.; Brune, W. H.; St Clair, J. M.; Crounse, J. D.; Spencer, K. M.; Beaver, M. R.; Wennberg, P. O.; Cubison, M. J.; Jimenez, J. L.; Fried, A.; Weibring, P.; Walega, J. G.; Hall, S. R.; Weinheimer, A. J.; Cohen, R. C.; Chen, G.; Crawford, J. H.; McNaughton, C.; Clarke, A. D.; Jaegle, L.; Fisher, J. A.; Yantosca, R. M.; Le Sager, P.; Carouge, C., Chemistry of hydrogen oxide radicals (HO(x)) in the Arctic troposphere in spring. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 2010, 10 (13), 5823-5838.
- Beaver, M. R.; Garland, R. M.; Hasenkopf, C. A.; Baynard, T.; Ravishankara, A. R.; Tolbert, M. A., A laboratory investigation of the relative humidity dependence of light extinction by organic compounds from lignin combustion. Environ. Res. Lett. 2008, 3 (4).
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709