Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Title: Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure Measurements & Analysis Branch
Sarah’s expertise lies across a multi-disciplinary background including forecast meteorology, aerosol science and cloud microphysics, air pollution/odor quantification and control evaluation, and agricultural air quality. Her current research focuses on the application of statistical linear mixed models to real-world data for the evaluation of parameters driving spatial and temporal variability in complex urban environments. Additional work has included field sample collection and project support, data/sample quality assessments, dataset processing, and instrument evaluations for the USEPA Near-road Exposures and effects from Urban air pollutants Study (NEXUS).
- Ph.D., Civil & Environmental Engineering - Agricultural & Biological Engineering, Purdue University, 2009
- M.S., Cloud Microphysics (Earth & Atmospheric Science), Purdue University, 2005
- B.S., Meteorology (Minors: Math & Geography), Central Michigan University, 2003
- Physical Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD-EMAB, RTP, NC 2010-present
- Post-Doctoral Researcher, Purdue University, Agricultural & Biological Engineering, W. Lafayette, IN 2009-2010
- Odor Laboratory Manager, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN, 2007-2010
- National Air Emissions Monitoring Study Field Technician, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 2007
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 2007
- Air & Waste Management Association (Webmaster - Research Triangle Park Chapter), 2005
- International Society of Exposure Science, 2011
- Center for the Study of Open Source Emissions, 2011
- American Meteorological Society, 2001
- USEPA-RTP Environmental and STEM Educational Outreach Program, 2010
- Community Emergency Response Team, 2006
Select Awards and Honors:
- Superior Accomplishment Recognition Award for data processing activities, 2012
- Super-Outreach Participant Recognition for USEPA Educational Outreach Team, 2012
- Superior Accomplishment Recognition Award for field support and sample collection activities, 2011
- Nominee for International Society of Exposure Science Sally Liu Award, 2011
- Grant award “Investigations of odor from land application of manure: Phase 1”, Purdue University, 2010
- Grant award “Improving the Purdue odor-based setback distance model and interactive website: Phase 3”, Purdue University, 2010
- Bereznicki, S.D., J. Sobus, A. Vette, and R. Williams. 2011. VOCs and PM Components in Outdoor Air During the DEARS: A Mixed-Model Analysis of Spatial and Temporal Variability and Regional and Local Source Effects. International Society of Exposure Science 2011 Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD USA. Oct. 24, 2011.
- Bereznicki, S.D., A.J. Heber, and R.B. Jacko. 2010. Downwind Odor Analysis Using a Field Olfactometer and a Handheld Weather Station. International Symposium on Air Quality and Manure Management for Agriculture, Dallas, TX USA. Sept. 13, 2010.
- Small, J.D., et al. 2005. RICO Graduate Student Flight – The Island Tail Objective. AGU Fall Meeting 86.
- Widajewski, S.D. 2003. The Role of Positive Cloud-to-Ground Lightning in Severe Thunderstorms. 1st Midwest Extreme and Hazardous Weather Conference, Champaign, IL USA. Oct. 17-18, 2003.
- Bereznicki, S.D., et al. 2012. Odor and Odorous Chemical Emissions from Animal Buildings: Part 1 – Project Overview and Collection Methods. Transactions of the ASABE. 55(6): 2325-2334.
- Akdeniz, N., et al. 2012. Odor and Odorous Chemical Emissions from Animal Buildings: Part 2 – Odor Emissions. Transactions of the ASABE. 55(6): 2335-2345.
- Akdeniz, N., et al. 2012. Odor and Odorous Chemical Emissions from Animal Buildings: Part 4 – Correlations Between Sensory and Chemical Measurements. Transactions of the ASABE. 55(6): 2347-2356.
- Parker, D.B., et al. 2012. Odor and Odorous Chemical Emissions from Animal Buildings: Part 6 – Odor Activity Value. Transactions of the ASABE. 55(6): 2357-2368.
- Lasher-Trapp, S, S. Anderson-Bereznicki, A. Shackelford, C.H. Twohy, and J.G. Hudson. 2008. An Investigation of the Influence of Droplet Number Concentration and Giant Aerosol Particles Upon Supercooled Large Drop Formation in Wintertime Stratiform Clouds. J. Appl. Met. and Climate 47, 2659-2678.
- Rauber, R.M., et al. 2007. In the Driver Seat – RICO and Education. Bul. Amer. Met. Soc., Dec. 2007, 1929-1937.
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709