Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Dr. Timothy J. Buckley
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
Dr. Buckley’s research expertise is in human exposure science as applied for the protection of public health. He has 25 years of experience in academic and government research. His work is broad ranging including the development and application of exposure methods, measurements, and models to chemical, physical, and biological stressors within community and occupational settings. Exposure is treated comprehensively considering all relevant routes and pathways as well as biomonitoring so exposure misclassification is minimized. These studies have been applied in the context of health studies to evaluate environmental determinants of cancer, neurotoxic, and respiratory risk, as well as children’s asthma. His work is strongly tied to the environmental interests and concerns of the community and has resulted in the identification of environmental justice issues. His research has lead to numerous funded grants and publication of 66 peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Ph.D., Environmental Science, Rutgers University /Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ, 1991
- M.H.S., Industrial Hygiene, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1986
- B.S., Chemistry, St. John's University, Collegeville, MN, 1981
- Board Certified: Certified Industrial Hygienist - Comprehensive Practice, American Board of Industrial Hygiene, 1997
- Director, Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division: 2012-present
- Associate Professor and Chair, Ohio State University, College of Public Health, Division of Environmental Health Sciences: 2005-2012
- Associate Professor, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Division of Environmental Health Engineering; joint appointment in the Department of Epidemiology; joint appointment in the Department of Oncology: 2002-2005
- Assistant Professor, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Division of Environmental Health Engineering; joint appointment in the Department of Epidemiology: 1996-2002
- Environmental Scientist, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, National Exposure Research Laboratory: 1991-1996
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- International Society of Exposure Analysis (ISEA), 1991 - present Elected ISEA Academic Counselor, 2001-2004
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), 1993 - 2002 Elected Chair AIHA Biological Monitoring Committee, 2000
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), 1986-present Elected to ACGIH Nomination Committee, 2001
- National Research Council “Committee on Human and Environmental Exposure Science in the 21st Century,” 2010-2011
- CDC National Center for Injury Prevention and Control Initial Review Group, 2007-Present
- US Environmental Protection Agency Science Advisory Board’s (SAB) Exposure and Human Health Committee, 2001-2007, Executive Committee, 2008-present
- Study Section for National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health, 2008-present
Select Awards and Honors:
- USEPA Bronze Medal for Contributions to the Lower Rio Grande Valley Environmental Scoping Study, 1996
- USEPA Scientific and Technology Achievement Award Level III, 1996
- USEPA Bronze Medal for Contributions to NHEXAS, 1995
- Environmental and Occupational Health Science Institute Fellowship, 1987, 1988, 1989
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health Center Training Grant, 1984, 1985
- Buckley TJ; *Seryak LM; (2011): Impact of a Poultry CAFO on Community Perceptions of Environmental Health. Presented at the 21st Annual Meeting of the International Society of Exposure Science, October 23-26, Baltimore, MD
- *Bornhorst M; Akar G; Craigmile PF; Hernandez N; Buckley TJ (2011): Space and Time Patterns of Traffic-Related Air Pollution to Inform Exposure and Risk for Transportation and Parking Planning at The Ohio State University. Presented at the 21st Annual Meeting of the International Society of Exposure Science, October 23-27, Baltimore, MD.
- *Seryak LM; Lynch C; Andridge R; Buckley TJ (2011): Occupational and Demographic Factors Associated with Exposure to Bisphenol A and Relationship with Women's Reproductive History in NHANES. Presented at the 21st Annual Meeting of the International Society of Exposure Science, October 23-27, Baltimore, MD.
- *Clark BR; Thomas A; Rhea C; Burkett A; Bisesi M; Andridge R; Buckley TJ (2011): Development of a Predictive Asthma Risk-Screening Index (ARSI) for Use by Ohio Schools. Presented at the 21st Annual Meeting of the International Society of Exposure Science, October 23-26, Baltimore, MD
- *Clark BR, Burkett MA, Andridge RR, Buckley TJ (Accepted): Evidence of High Rates of Undiagnosed Asthma in Central Ohio Elementary School Children. Journal of School Health.
- Zhang L, Huang Y, Zhou Y, Buckley T, Wang HH. (2013): Antibiotic administration routes significantly influence the levels of antibiotic resistance in gut microbiota. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Aug;57(8):3659-66.
- *Stoner AM, Anderson SE, Buckley TJ. (2013): Ambient Air Toxics and Asthma Prevalence among a Representative Sample of US Kindergarten-Age Children. PLoS One. 2013 18;8(9):e75176.
- *Lutz EA; Hoet AE; Pennell M; Stevenson K; Buckley TJ (2013): Non-Outbreak Related Airborne Staphylococcus spp. in a Veterinary Hospital. American Journal of Infection Control. S0196-6553(12)01207-2
- Sungroul K; Kim Y; Lee MR; Park YR; Kim J; Lee M; Park JS; Jang AS; Park SW, Uh ST; Choi JS; Kim YH; Buckley TJ, Park CS (2012): Ambient Air Pollution Affects on Refractory Asthma in South Korea. Journal of Asthma. 49(7):679-87
- *Deziel NC; Buckley TJ; Sinha R; Abubaker S; Platz EA; Strickland PT (2012): Comparability and repeatability of methods for estimating dietary intake of PhIP. Food Additives and Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A: Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure & Risk Assessment. 29(8):1202-11
- *Marion JW; Lee J; Wilkins JR; Lemeshow S; Lee C; Waletzko E; Buckley TJ (2012): In Vivo Phycocyanin Flourometry as a Potential Rapid Screening Tool for Predicting Elevated Microcystin Concentrations at Eutrophic Lakes. Environmental Science & Technology. 46, 4523-4531
- Lee CS; Wetzel K; Buckley TJ; Wozniak D; Lee J (2011): Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in Chlorinated Water and Aerosols targeting gyrB gene using Real-time PCR. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 111(4):893-903
- Buckley TJ; Geer LA; Connor TH; Robertson S; Sammons D; Smith J; Snawder J; Boeniger M (2011): A Pilot Study of Workplace Dermal Exposures to Cypermethrin at a Chemical Manufacturing Plant. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Hygiene. 8(10):600-608
- *Deziel NC; Strickland PT; Platz EA; Abubaker S; Buckley TJ (2011): Comparison of standard methods for assessing dietary intake of benzo[a]pyrene. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 20(5):962-70
- *Marion JW; Lee J; Lemeshow S; Buckley TJ (2010): Association of Illness and Recreational Water Exposure during Advisory and Non-Advisory conditions at an Inland U.S. Beach. Water Research. 44(16):4796-4808.
- *Lutz A; Sharma S; Casto BC; Needham G; Buckley TJ (2010): Effectiveness of UV-C Equipped Vacuum at Reducing Culturable Surface-Bound Microorganisms on Carpets. Environ. Sci. Technol. 44:9451-55
- *Rule AM; Kesavan J; Schwab KJ; Buckley TJ (2009): Assessment of bioaerosol generation and sampling efficiency based on Pantoea agglomerans. Aerosol Science & Technology. 43:620-628
- deCastro BR; Buckley TJ; Wang L, Mihalic JN, Breysse PN, Geyh AS (2008): The longitudinal dependence of black carbon concentration on traffic volume in an urban environment. J. Air Waste Mgmt Assoc. 58:928-939
- *Kim SR; Halden RU; Buckley TJ (2008): Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Human Milk of Non-smoking U.S. Women. Environmental Science & Technology. 42, 2663-2667
- Diette GB; Hansel NN; Buckley TJ; Curtin-Brosnan J; Eggleston PA; Matsui EC; McCormack MC; Williams DL; Breysse PN (2007): Home Indoor Pollutant Exposures among Inner City Children with and without Asthma. Environmental Health Perspectives. 115(11):1665-9.
- McCormack MC; Breysse PN; Hansel NN; Matsui EC; Tonorezos ES; Curtin-Brosnan J; Williams DL; Buckley TJ; Eggleston PA; Diette GB (2008): Common household activities are associated with elevated particulate matter concentrations in bedrooms of inner-city Baltimore pre-school children. Environ Res. 106(2):148-55.
- *Rule AM; Kesavan J; Schwab KJ; Buckley TJ (2007): Application of flow cytometry for the assessment of preservation and recovery efficiency of bioaerosol samplers spiked with pantoea agglomerans. Environmental Science and Technology. 41, 2467-2472.
- Simons E; Curtin-Brosnan J; Buckley TJ; Breysse P; Eggleston PA (2007): Indoor Environmental Differences between Inner City and Suburban Homes of Children with Asthma. Journal of Urban Health. 84(4):577-90
- *Kim SR, Halden; RU, Buckley TJ (2007): Volatile organic compounds in human milk: methods and measurements. Environmental Science and Technology. 41,1662-1667.
- *Kim SR; Dominici F, Buckley TJ (2007): Concentrations of vehicle-related air pollutants in an urban parking garage. Environmental Research. 105, 291-299.
- *Geer LA; Anna DH; Curbow BA; Diener-West M; Mitchell C; van-Wendel-de-Joode B; Buckley TJ (2007): Survey assessment of worker dermal exposure and underlying behavioral determinants. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Hygiene. 4, 809-820.
- *Fan VS; Savage RE; Buckley TJ (2007): Methods and measurements for estimating human dermal uptake of volatile organic compounds (VOC's) and for deriving dermal permeability coefficients (KP). Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods. 17:295-304
- *Geer LA; Curbow BA; Anna DH; Lees PSJ; Buckley TJ (2006): Development of a questionnaire to assess worker knowledge, attitudes, and perceptions (KAP) underlying dermal exposure. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. 32(3):209-18
- *Sapkota A; Halden R; Dominici F; Groopman JD; Buckley TJ (2006): Urinary biomarkers of 1,3-Butadiene in environmental settings using liquid chromatography isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometry. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 160:70-79
- Ondov JM; Buckley TJ; Hopke PK; Ogulei D; Parlange MB; Rogge WF; Squibb KS; Johnston MV; Wexler AS (2006): Baltimore Supersite: Highly time and size resolved concentrations of urban PM2.5 and its constituents for resolution of sources and immune responses. Atmospheric Environment. 40:S224-237
- Eggleston PA, Butz A, Rand C, Curtin-Brosnan J, Kanchanaraksa S, Swartz L,Breysse P, Buckley TJ, Diette G, Merriman B, Krishnan JA (2005): Home environmental intervention in inner-city asthma: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 95(6):518-24
- *Rule AM; Chapin AR; McCarthy S; Gibson K; Schwab KJ; Buckley TJ (2005): Assessment of an aerosol treatment to improve air quality in a swine concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO). Environmental Science & Technology. 39:9649
- Gilliland F; Avol E; Kinney P; Jerrett M; Dvonch T; Lurmann F; Buckley TJ; Breysse P; Keeler J; McConnell R (2005): Air pollution exposure assessment for epidemiologic studies of pregnant women and children: lessons learned from the centers for childrens' environmental health and disease prevention research. Environmental Health Perspectives. (10):1447-54.
- Apelberg BJ, Buckley TJ, White RH (2005): Socioeconomic and racial disparities in cancer risk from air toxics in Maryland. Environmental Health Perspectives. 113(6):693.
- *Sapkota A; Williams DA; Buckley TJ (2005): Tollbooth workers and mobile source related hazardous air pollutants: How protective is the indoor environment? Environmental Science & Technology. 39:2936-2943
- Chapin AR; *Rule; AM; Gibson KE; Buckley TJ; Schwab KJ (2005): Airborne multidrug-resistant bacteria isolated from a concentrated swine feeding operation. Environmental Health Perspectives. 113:137-142.
- Matsui EC; Simons E; Rand C; Butz A; Buckley TJ; Breysse PN; Eggleston PA (2005): Airborne mouse allergen in the homes of inner-city children with asthma. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 115(2):358-363.
- *Sapkota A; Symons JM; Kleissl J; Wang L; Parlange MB; Ondov J; Breysse PN; Diette GB, Eggleston PA; Buckley TJ (2005); Impact of the 2002 Canadian forest fires on particulate matter air quality in Baltimore city. Environmental Science & Technology. 39:24-32.
- *Geer LA; Cardello N; Roberts J; Dellarco MJ; Leighton TJ; Zendzian RP; Buckley TJ (2004): Comparative analysis of passive dosimetry and biomonitoring for assessing chlorpyrifos exposure in pesticide workers. Annals of Occupational Hygiene. 48(8):683-695.
- Brown RH; *Taenkhum K; Buckley TJ; Hamilton RG (2004): Different latex aeroallergen size distributions between powdered surgical and examination gloves: significance for environmental avoidance. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 114:358-363.
- Harrison D; Park SS; Ondov JM; Buckley TJ; *Kim SR; Jayanty RKM (2004): Highly-time resolved particulate nitrate measurements at the Baltimore Supersite, Atmospheric Environment. 38:5321-5332.
- Breysse PN, Buckley TJ, Williams D, Beck CM, Kanchanaraksa S, Swartz LJ, Callahan KA, Butz AM, Rand CS, Diette GB, Krishnan JA, Moseley AM, Curtin-Brosnan J, DurkinNB, Eggleston PA (2004): Indoor exposures to air pollutants and allergens in the homes of asthmatic children in inner-city Baltimore. Environmental Research. 98(2):167-176.
- *Payne-Sturges DC; Burke TA; Breysse PN; Diener-West M; Buckley TJ (2004): Personal exposure meets risk assessment: a comparison of measured and modeled exposures and risks in an urban community. Environmental Health Perspectives. 112:589-598.
- *Payne-Sturges DC; Devon, C; Schwab M; Buckley TJ (2004): Closing the research loop: a risk-based approach for communicating results of community-based exposure studies. Environmental Health Perspectives. 112(1):28-34.
- Swartz LJ; Callahan KA; Butz AM; Rand CS; Kanchanaraksa S; Diette GB; Krishnan JA; Breysse PN; Buckley TJ; Mosley AM; Eggleston PA. (2004): Methods and issues in conducting a community-based environmental randomized trial. Environmental Research. 95:156-165.
- *Beck CM; Geyh A; Srinivasan A; Breysse PN; Eggleston PA; Buckley TJ (2003): The impact of a building implosion on airborne particulate matter in an urban community. J. Air Waste Mngmt Assoc. 53:256-264.
- *Sapkota A; Buckley TJ; (2003): The mobile source effect on curbside 1,3-butadiene, benzene, and particle-bound polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons assessed at a tollbooth. J. Air & Waste Mgmt Assoc. 53:740-748.
- Lai CH; Liou SH; Shih TS; Tsai PJ; Chen HL; Buckley TJ; Strickland PT; Jaakkola JJK (2004): Exposure to fine particulate matter (PM2.5) among highway toll workers in Taipei: Direct and indirect exposure assessment. Archives of Environmental Health. 59(3):138-148.
- Lai CH; Liou SH; Shih TS; Tsai PJ; Chen HL; Buckley TJ; Strickland PT; Jaakkola JJK (2003): Relationship between concentration of pyrene and aerosol size distribution in traffic exhausts in Taipei, Taiwan. Archives of Environmental Health. 58(10):624-32.
- Lai CH; Liou SH; Shih TS; Tsai PJ; Chen HL; Buckley TJ; Strickland PT; Jaakkola JJK (2004): Urinary 1-hydroxypyrene-glucuronide as a biomarker of exposure to various vehicle exhausts among highway toll-station workers in Taipei, Taiwan. Archives of Environmental Health. 59(2):61-9.
- Srinivasan A; *Beck C; Buckley TJ; Geyh A; Bova G; Merz W; and Perl TM; (2002): The ability of hospital ventilation systems to filter Aspergillus and other Fungi following a building implosion. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology: the official journal of the Society of Hospital Epidemiologists of America. 23(9)520-524.
- *LaRosa, LE; Buckley TJ; Wallace LA (2002): Real-time indoor and outdoor measurements of black carbon in an occupied house: An examination of sources. J. Air Waste Mngmt. 52:174-185.
- *Cardello N; Volckens J; Tolocka M; Wiener R; Buckley TJ (2002): Performance of a personal electrostatic precipitator particle sampler. Aerosol Science & Technology. 36:1-4.
- Buckley TJ; Pleil JD; Bowyer JR; Davis JM (2001): Evaluation of methyl tert butyl ether (MTBE) as an interference on commercial breath alcohol analyzers. Forensic Science International. 123(2-3):111-118.
- Weaver VM; Buckley TJ; Groopman JD (2000): Non-specificity of trans,trans-muconic acid as a benzene exposure biomarker due to ingestion of sorbic acid preserved foods. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 9:749-755.
- Eggleston PA; Buckley TJ; Breysse PN; Wills Karp M; Kleeberger SR; Jaakkola JJK (1999): The Environment and asthma in U.S. inner cities. Environmental Health Perspectives. 107(3):439-450.
- *Dubowsky SD; Wallace LA; Buckley TJ (1999): The contribution of traffic to indoor concentrations of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. J. of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology. 9(4):312-320.
- Scholl PF, Leonardo MA, *Rule AM, Carlson MA, Antoine MD; Buckley TJ (1999): The Development of Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry for the Detection of Biological Warfare Agent Aerosols. Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest. 20(3):343 351.
- Rhoads GG; Ettinger AS; Goldman KD; Weisel CP; Buckley TJ; Lioy PJ (1999): The effect of dust lead control on blood lead in toddlers: a randomized trial. Pediatrics. 103(3):551-5.
- Weaver VM; Buckley TJ; Groopman JD (1998): Approaches to environmental exposure assessment in children. Environ Health Persp. 106(S3):827-832.
- Adgate JL; Willis RD; Buckley TJ; Chow JC; Watson JG; Rhoads GG; Lioy PJ (1998): Chemical mass balance source apportionment of lead in house dust. Environmental Science & Technology. 32:108 114.
- Buckley TJ; Prah JD; Ashley D; Zweidinger RA; Wallace LA (1997): Body burden measurements and models to assess inhalation exposure to methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE). J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc. 47:739-752.
- Buckley TJ; Liddle JD; Ashley D; Burse V; Paschal D; Akland G (1997): Environmental and biomarker measurements in nine homes in the lower Rio Grande Valley: Multimedia results for pesticides, metals, PAHs, and VOCs. Environment International. 23(5):705-732.
- Wallace LA; Buckley TJ; Pellizzari E; Gordon S (1996): Breath measurements as VOC biomarkers. Environmental Health Perspectives. 104(S5):861-869.
- Wang E; Willis RD; Buckley TJ; Rhoads GG; Lioy PJ (1996): The relationship between the dust lead concentration and the particle sizes of household dusts collected in Jersey City residences. Appl Occup Environ Hyg. 11(3):199-206.
- Buckley TJ; Waldman JM; Dhara R; Greenberg A; Ouyang Z; Lioy PJ (1995): An assessment of a urinary biomarker for total human environmental exposure to benzo[a]pyrene. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 67:257-266.
- Lebowitz MD; O'Rourke MK; Gordon S; Moschandreas D; Buckley TJ; Nishioka M (1995): National Human Exposure Assessment Survey (NHEXAS): Population-based exposure measurements in Arizona. J Exposure Anal Environ Epidemiol. 5:297-325.
- Whiton RS; Witherspoon C; Buckley TJ (1995): Improved high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon metabolites in human urine. Journal of Chromatography. B,Biomedical applications. 665:390-394.
- Lindstrom AB; Highsmith VR; Buckley TJ (1994): Gasoline-contaminated ground water as a source of residential benzene exposure: a case study. Journal of Exposure Analysis Environmental Epidemiology. 4(2):183-195.
- Buckley TJ; Lioy PJ (1992): An examination of the time course from human dietary exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to urinary elimination of 1-hydroxypyrene. British Journal of Industrial Medicine. 49:113-124.
- Buckley TJ; Waldman JM; Freeman NCG; Lioy PJ (1991): Calibration, intersampler comparison, and field application of a new PM-10 personal air sampling impactor. Aerosol Science and Technology 14:380-38.
- Lioy PJ; Waldman JM; Buckley TJ; Butler J; Pietarinen C (1990): The personal, indoor and outdoor concentrations of PM-10 measured in an industrial community during the winter. Atmospheric Environment. Part B, Urban Atmosphere. 24B:57-66.
- Waldman JM; Buckley TJ; Greenberg A; Butler J; Pietarinen C; Lioy P (1990): Investigations of indoor and outdoor levels of benzo(a)pyrene in a community of older homes. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons. 1:137-149.
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709