Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Janet Burke Norris
Title: Research Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure Modeling Research Branch
Janet’s research focuses on the development, application, and evaluation of exposure models for air pollutants. Recent research activities include applications of the Stochastic Human Exposure and Dose Simulation (SHEDS) model using output from air quality models and models that combine monitoring data with air quality model data to improve the spatial and temporal resolution of exposure estimates, and to estimate exposures for use in analyses of the health effects of air pollution.
- Ph.D., Environmental Health, University of Michigan, 1998
- M.S., Environmental Health, University of Michigan, 1994
- B.S., Biology, Boston College, 1986
- Research Physical Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, Exposure Modeling Research Branch, Research Triangle Park, NC 2001-present
- Environmental Health Scientist (Post-doctoral), USEPA, ORD, NERL, Research Triangle Park, NC 1998-2001
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Michigan Air Quality Lab, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 1992-1998
- Data Supervisor, Dept. of Environmental Science and Engineering, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 1989-1992
- Biomedical Data Coordinator, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 1986-1989
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- International Society of Exposure Science (ISES)
- American Association of Aerosol Research (AAAR)
Select Awards and Honors:
- USEPA National Honor Award: Silver Medal for Superior Service (2009)
- USEPA ORD Honor Award: Silver Medal for Superior Service (2007), Bronze Medal for Commendable Service (2009, 2011), ORD Technical Assistance to the Regions or Program Offices (2011)
- Burke, J., Kamal, A., Bereznicki, S., Dionisio, K., Vedantham, R., Croghan, C. , Landis, M., Norris, G., Vette, A., Batterman, S., Robins, T., Lewis, T., Berry Vaughn, L., CAAA (2012) Variability in exposures to traffic-related air pollutants across Detroit in the Near-Road Exposures and Effects of Urban Air Pollutants Study (NEXUS). International Society of Exposure Science (ISES) Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Burke, J., K. Wesson, W. Appel, A. Vette, R. Williams (2010) Evaluation of a combined air quality and human exposure modeling study for Detroit, MI. CMAS Conference, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Burke, J., J. Xue, C. Liu, B. Bhaduri, V. Isakov, T. McCurdy (2007) Impact of high spatial/temporal resolution location data on exposure model estimates of benzene exposures for school-aged children. International Society of Exposure Analysis (ISEA) Conference, Durham, NC
- Burke, J., Graham, S., Isakov, V., Stallings, C. (2007) Air toxics exposure modeling at NERL: Linking air quality and exposure models. American Chemistry Council VOC Exposure Modeling Workshop, Piscataway, NJ.
- Burke, J. and S. Graham (2005) Exposure modeling: The Stochastic Human Exposure and Dose Simulation (SHEDS) model. Air Toxics Risk Assessment Workshop, Atlanta, GA.
- Baxter, L., Burke, J., Lunden, M., Turpin, B., Rich, D., Thevenet-Morrison, K., Hodas, N., Özkaynak, H. (2012) Influence of human activity patterns, particle composition, and residential air exchange rates on modeled distributions of PM2.5 exposure compared to central-site monitoring data. Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology, doi:10.1038/jes.2012.118.
- Vette, A., Burke, J., Norris, G., Landis, M., Batterman, S., Breen, M., Isakov, V., Gilmour, I., Lewis, T., Kamal, A., Hammond, D., Vedantham, R., Bereznicki, S., Tian, N., Croghan, C. (2012) The Near-Road Exposures and Effects of Urban Air Pollutants Study (NEXUS): Study Design and Methods. Science of the Total Environment, http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.10.072.
- Duvall, R., Norris, G., Burke, J., Olson. D., Vedantham, R., Williams, R. (2012) Determining spatial variability in PM2.5 source impacts across Detroit, MI. Atmospheric Environment, 47: 491-498.
- Berrocal, V. J., Gelfand, A. E., Holland, D. M., Burke, J. and Miranda, M. L. (2011) On the use of a PM2.5 exposure simulator to explain birth weight. Environmetrics, 22: 553–571.
- Xue, J., McCurdy, T., Burke, J.. Bhaduri, B., Liu, C., Nutaro, J., Patterson, L. (2010) Analyses of school commuting data for exposure modeling purposes. Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology, 20, 69-78.
- Georgopoulos, P., Isukapalli, S., Burke, J., Napelenok, S., Palma, T., Langstaff, J., Majeed, M., He, S., Byun, D., Cohen, M., Vautard, R. (2009) Air quality modeling needs for exposure assessment from the source-to-outcome perspective. EM, Oct. 2009, 26-35.
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709