Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Larry C. Butler
Title: Research Chemist/Project Officer
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure and Dose Research Branch
Dr. Butler received multi-disciplinary training in various branches of chemistry leading to a research and teaching career, and came to EPA as a Research Pesticide Chemist in 1974. His publications included environmental studies of pesticides by taking his own human exposure field samples, doing laboratory testing and his own instrumental analyses. He has published 127 papers and presentations. Dr. Butler spent many years as a Quality Assurance Expert for the EPA Contract Laboratory Program. He performed on-site laboratory evaluations and was the Supervisor of the Performance Evaluation Program, which provided Performance Evaluation (PE) samples, audit, and method research as one phase of the EMSL-LV Quality Assurance support of the Office of Emergency and Remedial Response (OERR), Superfund Contract Laboratory Program (CLP). He managed a program staff of 17, which included chemists, data auditors, statisticians, and clerical aides. Organic, inorganic, and dioxin Performance Evaluation samples were provided for CLP laboratories nationwide with the assistance of the EPA Regions. Data returned were scored statistically and audited for deliverables. Results were provided to Superfund (OERR), Regions and states, and the laboratories for corrective actions. PE results were also provided to assist on-site teams. Dr. Butler served as an on-site laboratory evaluation Team Leader. Examples of methods R&D included laboratory robotics, the development of ICP-MS for the CLP, extraction/pH studies, metals microwave digestion studies, and statistical analyses.
Dr. Butler has also worked on the Total Human Exposure Research data base and Advanced Simulation Environment (THERdbASE) as well as performing expert Public Outreach as part of the Web Response Team. Recently, he has provided database development and management oversight for “Models and Modeling Methods for Assessing Human Exposure and Dose to Toxic Chemicals and Pollutants,” using ERDEM. He has managed a biomarker database in SPSS where exposure-dose interpretations in PBPK/PD modeling are supported. He has also collaborated with a Region 4 coworker on a Triad Fact Sheet regarding only the analytical chemistry methods for this Brownfield site. Please see http://www.epa.gov/superfund/remedytech/pubichar.htm.
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1972
- Ph.C., Organic Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1971
- B.S., Chemistry, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR, 1962
- Project Officer, NERL, HEASD, EDRB, Las Vegas, NV August 1995-present
- Project Officer, EMSL-LV, QAD, QAB, Las Vegas, NV April 1983-August 1995
- Research Chemist, EPA/ORD, ERL, Gulf Breeze, FL September 1981-September 1982
- Research Chemist, EPA/Pesticides Research Branch, Wenatchee, WA July 1974-September 1981
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Chemical Society, 1965-present
- American Chemical Society-Local Section
Select Awards and Honors:
- EPA Silver Medalist
- EPA Awards Board, 2001-present
- Sustained Superior Performance Award, HEASD Web Response Team, 2005
- Sustained Superior Performance Award, HEASD Web Response Team, 2004
- D. C. Hillman, D. M. Boyer, and L. C. Butler, "An Evaluation of GFAA QC Criteria: Duplicate Injection Requirement." The 10th Annual Waste Testing and Quality Assurance Symposium, Washington, DC, July 1994.
- Larry C. Butler, "Quality Assurance Research for Superfund." Quality Assurance and Methods Development Division (reorganized as the Analytical Sciences Division), Environmental Monitoring Systems Laboratory, Las Vegas, NV, EPA/600/X-94/022, (FY93), June 1994.
- D. E. Dobb, R. C. Metcalf, R. W. Gerlach, and L. C. Butler, "Optimizing Reactions for Preserving Mercury with Gold Chloride in environmental Water Samples," Emerging Technologies in Hazardous Waste Management VI, Vol. 2, pp. 1438-1441, September (1994).
- Laurine J. Ottmar, Dawn M. Boyer, Daniel C. Hillman, David E. Dobb, and Larry C. Butler, "An Evaluation of a New Trace Level ICP-MS Instrument for Determination of Furnace AAS Analytes under the Proposed Superfund Low Concentration SOW." The Pittsburgh Conference Abstracts, Paper No. 001P, March (1995).
- Dawn M. Boyer, Daniel C. Hillman, David E. Dobb, and Larry C. Butler, "Superfund Sample Preparation for Metals Analysis - Is a Separate Sample Necessary for Furnace AAS?," The Pittsburgh Conference Abstracts, Paper No. 345P, March (1995).
- J. M. Kaushik, D. K. Dandge, D. H. Hewetson, F. C. Garner, K. R. York, and L. C. Butler, "Diagnose: A System for Evaluation of Semi-Volatile Organic Analyses." Division of Environmental Chemistry, American Chemical Society, Orlando, FL (1996).
- Larry C. Butler, John Nocerino, Edward Kantor, Michael Hiatt, Jimmie Petty, Robert Newberry, and Harold Vincent, "Quality Assurance in Support of Superfund." Quality Assurance and Methods Development Division, Environmental Monitoring Systems Laboratory, Las Vegas, NV, EPA/600/X-90/033, (FY89), February (1990).
- Larry C. Butler, Daniel Hillman, and Piotr Nowinski, "Robotic - Microwave Digestion System for the Contract Laboratory Program." Proceedings: 201st National American Chemical Society Meeting, Vol. 31, No. 1, April (1991).
- Larry C. Butler and Kenneth W. Brown, Robotics Technology in Environmental Sample Preparation, Fact Sheet, Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Monitoring Systems Laboratory, Las Vegas, NV, August (1992).
- Larry C. Butler, "Quality Assurance Research for Superfund." Quality Assurance and Methods Development Division, Environmental Monitoring Systems Laboratory, Las Vegas, NV, EPA/600/X-93/065, (FY92), July (1993).
- David E. Dobb, J. T. Rowan, and D. Cardenas, and L. C. Butler, "Determination of Mercury by ICP-MS." U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Las Vegas, NV 89119, "The 10th Annual Waste Testing and Quality Assurance Symposium, Washington, DC, July 11-15 (1994), pages 387-394.
Larry C. Butler
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709