Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Matthew S. Clifton
Title: Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure Measurements and Analysis Branch
Matthew’s research primarily focuses on exposure measurements of chemicals, primarily pesticides, in residential environments. His current interests focus on multi-residue, multi-media analyses for aggregate exposure measurements. Matthew is also investigating factors that may confound parent/metabolite measurements, and improving measurement technologies, especially in the areas of surface, air and dermal sampling.
- B.S., Chemistry, Gardner-Webb University, 1997
- A.A.S., Science, Patrick Henry Community College, 1994
- Physical Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD-EMAB, RTP, NC 2003-present
- Analytical Chemist, RTI International, RTP, NC 1997-2003
Select Awards and Honors:
- USEPA NERL Special Achievement Award, 2007
- USEPA Special Accomplishment Recognition Award, 2005-2012
- Clifton M., Wargo J.,Colon M., 2011. Surface Wipe Samples for Multi-Residue Analysis of Selected Organophosphates, Pyrethroids, Pyrethroid Metabolites, Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers and Bisphenol A by GC/MS. 21st International Society of Exposure Science Conference, Baltimore, MD
- Hines A., Clifton M. 2011. Stability of Selected Pyrethroid and Organophosphate Insecticides in Cotton Surface Wipes and Polyurethane Foam Discs. 21st International Society of Exposure Science Conference, Baltimore, MD
- Clifton M., Weathers W., Colon M., Hines A., King A., Smarr M. 2008. Combined Sample Preparation Methods for Selected Pyrethroids, Organophosphates, and Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers in Surface Wipe and Passive Air Samples. 18th Annual ISEA/ISEE Joint Conference, Pasadena, CA
- Clifton M, Stout D, 2007. A multi-residue method for the analysis of selected insecticides on cotton surface wipes. 17th Annual Conference of the International Society of Exposure Analysis, Durham, NC.
- Clifton M., Croghan C., Hines A., 2007. A widely applicable, low cost method to automate analytical data transfer in observational human exposure studies. 17th Annual Conference of the International Society of Exposure Analysis, Durham, NC.
- Clifton M, Stout D, 2007. A multi-residue method for the analysis of insecticides on cotton surface wipes. 55th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Indianapolis, IN.
- Clifton, M. S., Wargo, J. P., Weathers, W. S., Colon, M., Bennett, D. H., & Tulve, N. S. (2013). Quantitative analysis of organophosphate and pyrethroid insecticides, pyrethroid transformation products, polybrominated diphenyl ethers and bisphenol A in residential surface wipe samples. Journal of chromatography. A 2013, 1273, 1-11.
- Shin, H. M., McKone, T. E., Tulve, N. S., Clifton, M. S., & Bennett, D. H. (2013). Indoor residence times of semivolatile organic compounds: model estimation and field evaluation. Environmental science & technology 2013, 47 (2), 859-67.
- Morgan, M. K.; Jones, P. A.; Calafat, A. M.; Ye, X.; Croghan, C. W.; Chuang, J. C.; Wilson, N. K.; Clifton, M. S.; Figueroa, Z.; Sheldon, L. S. (2011). Assessing the quantitative relationships between preschool children's exposures to bisphenol A by route and urinary biomonitoring. Environmental science & technology 2011, 45 (12), 5309-16.
Matthew S. Clifton
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709