Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Rachelle M. Duvall
Title: Research Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Process Modeling Research Branch
Rachelle’s background is in the development and evaluation of receptor-based source apportionment models (CMB, PMF, and Unmix) and linking air pollution sources to health effects. Her current research focus includes: (1) the development and implementation of Federal Reference and Equivalent Methods (FRM/FEM) for criteria air pollutants, and (2) water-soluble organic carbon methods development.
- Ph.D., Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2005
- M.S., Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2002
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Rochester, 2000
- Research Physical Scientist, USEPA,ORD,NERL,HEASD, Research Triangle Park, NC 2007-present
- Acting Associate Director for Air Research, USEPA,ORD,NERL,HEASD, Research Triangle Park, NC 2009-2010
- Physical Scientist (Postdoctoral), USEPA,ORD,NERL,HEASD, Research Triangle Park, NC 2005-2007
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, North Carolina Central University, College of Science & Technology, Durham, NC 2006-2008
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI 2000-2005
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR)
Select Awards and Honors:
- USEPA Silver Medal for Superior Service, the DEARS team, 2009
- USEPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, NERL receptor model development team, 2008
- USEPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, Multiple Air Pollutant Study (MAPS), 2007
- Duvall R.M., Kovalcik K., McGee J.K., Sullivan J.A., Devlin R. Gilmour I. “Source Apportionment of Particulate Matter in Cleveland, OH and Associations with Toxicological Outcomes”, American Association for Aerosol Research, 30th Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, October 2011 (talk).
- Duvall R.M., Olson D., Norris G.A., McGee J.K., Sullivan J.A, Kovalcik K., Davies D., Terrell D., Gilmour M.I. “Source Apportionment of PM Collected at Varying Distances from an Urban Highway”. American Association for Aerosol Research, 29th Annual Conference, Portland, OR, October 2010 (poster).
- Duvall R.M., Norris G.A., McGee J.K., Kovalcik K, Landis M.S., Davies D., Terrell D., Gilmour M.I. “Source Apportionment of Particulate Matter Collected from an Urban Highway”, American Association for Aerosol Research Specialty Conference – Air Pollution and Health: Bridging the Gap from Source to Health Outcomes, San Diego, CA, March 2010 (poster).
- Duvall R.M., Norris G.A., Willis R.D., Turner J.R., Kaleel R., Sweitzer T., Preston B., Hays M. “Source apportionment of Particulate Matter Collected Upwind and Downwind of a Steel Facility in Granite City, IL (USA)”, European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2009, Vienna, Austria, April 2009 (talk).
- Duvall R.M., Norris G.A., Willis R.D., Turner J.R., Kaleel R, Sweitzer T., “St. Louis Advanced Monitoring Initiative (AMI) Project: Source Sampling and Ambient Monitoring Study Design”, American Association for Aerosol Research, 27th Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, October 2008 (poster).
- Duvall R.M., Olson D.A., Norris G.A., McDow S.R, Williams R.W. “Apportionment of ambient particulate matter in DEARS” 17th Annual Conference of the International Society of Exposure Analysis, Durham, NC, October 2007 (poster).
- • Baxter L.K., Duvall R.M., Sacks J., Examining the effects of air pollution composition on within regional differences in PM2.5 mortality effect risk estimates, Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, DOI: 10.1038/jes.2012.114.
- • Duvall R.M., Norris G.A., Burke J.M., Olson D.A., Vedantham R., Williams R. (2012) Determining spatial variability in PM2.5 source impacts across Detroit, MI, Atmospheric Environment, 27, 491-498.
- • Zota A., Willis R., Jim R., Norris G.A., Shine J.P., Duvall R.M., Schaider L.A., Spengler J.D. (2009) Impact of mine waste on airborne respirable particulates in northeastern Oklahoma, USA, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 59, 1347-1357.
- • Junninen H., Monster J., Rey M., Cancelinha J., Douglas K., Duane M., Forcina V., Muller A., Lagler F., Marelli L., Borowiak A., Niedzialek J., Paradiz B., Mira-Salama D., Jimenez J., Hansen U., Astorga C., Stanczyk K., Viana M., Querol X., Duvall R.M., Norris G.A., Tsakovski S., Wahilin P., Larsen B.R. (2009) Quantifying the impact of residential heating on the urban air quality in a typical European coal combustion region, Environmental Science & Technology, 43, 7964-7970.
- • Duvall R.M., Norris G.A., Dailey L.A., Burke J.M., McGee J.K., Gilmour M.I., Gordon T., Devlin R.B. (2008) Source apportionment of particulate matter in the U.S. and associations with lung inflammatory markers, Inhalation Toxicology, 20, 671-683.
- • Bullock K.R., Duvall R.M., Norris G.A., McDow S.R., Hays M.D. (2008) Evaluation of the CMB and PMF models using organic molecular markers in fine particulate matter collected during the Pittsburgh Air Quality Study, Atmospheric Environment, 42, 6897-6904.
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709