Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Peter Paul Egeghy
Title: Research Environmental Health Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure Measurements and Analysis Branch
Peter’s research primarily addresses the need for rapid screening and prioritization of manufactured chemicals based on potential for human exposure. His research focuses on the development of novel approaches for accelerated exposure assessment and publicly accessible exposure databases. Peter’s research also involves the application of exposure assessment techniques using advanced statistical methods to investigate the determinants of exposure and to evaluate factors that contribute to observed exposure variability. He also has a keen interest in the evaluation of factors, related to both the environment and to the individual, that contribute to the observed variability in biological markers of exposure.
- Ph.D., Environmental Sciences and Engineering (Industrial Hygiene), University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 2001
- M.S., Environmental and Occupational Health (Industrial Hygiene), California State University, Northridge, 1994
- M.P.H., Environmental Health, University of California, Berkeley, 1993
- B.A., Environmental Sciences (Physical Sciences), University of California, Berkeley, 1990
- Research Environmental Health Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL, Research Triangle Park, NC 2004-present
- Research Fellow (detail), National Center for Computational Toxicology, USEPA, Research Triangle Park, NC 2009
- Environmental Health Scientist (post-doctoral fellow), USEPA, ORD, NERL, Las Vegas, NV 2001-2004
- Assistant Environmental Health and Safety Manager, Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 1994-1996
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- International Society of Exposure Science (ISES), 2004-present
- International Society of Indoor Air Quality (ISIAQ), 2011-2012
- Society for Risk Analysis (SRA), 2006-2009
Select Expert Committees/Advisory Panels/Organizing Committees:
- 2012, Invited Participant, Long-Range Research Initiative (LRI) of the American Chemistry Council (ACC) Workshop on Exposure Determinants for High-Throughput Exposure Assessment (ExpoDat2012). Budapest, Hungary, June 14-15, 2012.
- 2012, Workshop Co-Organizer, Personal Chemical Exposure Informatics: Visualization, user Experience, Research in Systems modeling and Simulations (PerCEIVERS). Research Triangle Park, NC, June 26-27, 2012.
- 2012, Writing Team Lead, US EPA STAR Grant RFA: Human Exposure to Chemicals from Consumer Products
- 2011-Present, Editorial Board (Public Health Domain), The Scientific World Journal
- 2011-2012, Organizing Committee, 7th International Conference on the Science of Exposure Assessment (X2012), Edinburgh, Scotland, July 2-5, 2012.
- 2011, Organizing Committee, International Society of Exposure Science (ISES) Conference, Baltimore, MD, October 24-27, 2011.
- 2011, Organizer and Co-Chair, USEPA Exposure-Based Chemical Prioritization Workshop II: Extending Capabilities for High Throughput Assessment. Research Triangle Park, NC, September 26-27, 2011.
- 2010-Present, ILSI/HESI Risk Assessment in the 21st Century, Exposure Science Team
- 2010-Present, Member, ACC Exposure Ontology Project Working Group
- 2010, Organizer and Co-Chair, USEPA Exposure-Based Chemical Prioritization Workshop: Exploring Opportunities for Collaboration, Research Triangle Park, NC, April 6, 2010.
- 2010, Writing Team, US EPA STAR Grant RFA: Center for Life Cycle Chemical Safety
- 2010, Co-Chair, USEPA Exposure Science Community of Practice
- 2009, Organizing Committee, International Society of Exposure Science Conference, Minneapolis, MN
- 2008, Writing Team, US EPA STAR Grant RFA: Novel Approaches for Assessing Exposure for School-Aged Children in Longitudinal Studies
- 2007-2008, Invited Author, USEPA’s Scientific and Ethical Approaches for Observational Exposure Studies, Research Triangle Park, NC
- 2007, Expert Panel, United States Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine Workshop on Research Issues Related to JP8 Exposure Assessment, Natick, MA
- 2006-2007, Advisory Board Member, North Carolina Central University Environmental Risk and Impact in Communities of Color (ERICC) Initiative, Durham, NC
Select Awards and Honors:
- USEPA ORD Honor Awards Impact Award: Computational Toxicology Chemical Information Databases, 2011
- USEPA STAA Award, Level III: Identifying Unique Important Routes of Movement and Pathways of Human Exposure in the Residential Environment, 2011
- USEPA STAA Award, Level III: Innovative Approaches to Characterize Exposure to Pesticides by Children Ages 4-6 in Their Everyday Environments, 2011
- USEPA ORD Honor Award Bronze Medal: Mechanistic Indicators of Childhood Asthma Study, 2010
- USEPA STAA Award, Honorable Mention: American Healthy Homes Survey: A National Study of Residential Pesticides Measured from Floor Wipes, 2010
- USEPA STAA Award, Level II: Establishing a World-Class Method Development Laboratory for Analyzing Perfluorinated Compounds, 2009
- National Exposure Research Laboratory Special Achievement Award: Technical Support to the Office of Pesticide Programs and the Health Effects Division, 2009
- USEPA STAA Award, Level I: Identifying Important Sources, Pathways, and Routes of Children's Exposures to Pesticides in Their Environments, 2008
- USEPA STAA Award, Level II: Improved Understanding of Children's Exposure to Pesticides in the Residential Environment, 2008
- USEPA Children’s Environmental Health Excellence Award: Science Achievement, 2007
- USEPA NERL Special Achievement Award: Children’s Exposure Team Support of the Agency’s Mission, 2007
- USEPA Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards (Team): for contributions to the Moncure Air Quality Screening Study, 2007
- USEPA Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards (Team): for contributions to the Analysis of Children’s Exposure Factors Data, 2007
- Egeghy PP, Judson R, Gangwal S, Mosher S, Smith D, Vail J, Cohen Hubal EA. The exposure data landscape for manufactured chemicals. Sci Total Environ. 2012; 414:159-166
- Tornero-Velez R, Egeghy PP, Cohen Hubal EA. Biogeographical analysis of chemical co-occurrence data to identify priorities for mixtures research. Risk Anal. 2012; 32(2):224-236
- Egeghy PP, Vallero DA, Cohen Hubal EA. Exposure-based prioritization of chemicals for risk assessment. Environ Sci Pol. 2011; 14:950-964
- Egeghy PP, Cohen Hubal EA, Tulve NS, Melnyk LJ, Morgan MK, Fortmann RC, Sheldon LS. Review of pesticide urinary biomarker measurements from selected US EPA children's observational exposure studies. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2011; 8(5):1727-54.
- Bang JJ, Anderson YB, DeLauder SF, Malhotra R, Egeghy P, Williams R, Whitaker D, Morrison C. Ambient concentration levels of VOCs and aldehydes in Moncure, North Carolina: an environmental justice case study. Environ Justice. 2011; 4(2):91-99.
- Egeghy PP, Lorber M. An assessment of the exposure of Americans to perfluorooctane sulfonate: A comparison of estimated intake with values inferred from NHANES data. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2011; 21(2):150-68.
Peter P. Egeghy
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709