Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Tadeusz E. Kleindienst
Title: Research Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
Currently, Tadeusz is serving as the Acting Associate Director of Atmospheric Sciences providing leadership and guidance in atmospheric sciences. His research interests are in the study of the formation and removal of gas and aerosol-phase constituents important in ozone, air toxics, and particulate matter chemistry. Physical and chemical parameters for important process are examined experimentally under highly controlled conditions. The results of the laboratory studies are then applied to describe and predict pollution formed in ambient atmospheres using air quality models, such as the Community Multi-scale Air Quality (CMAQ) model.
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Indiana University, 1977
- B.A., Chemistry, University of California, 1972
- Acting Associate Division Director for Atmospheric Sciences, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, 2012-present
- Research Physical Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, PMRB, 2002-2012
- Principal Scientist for Atmospheric Chemistry, ManTech Environmental Sciences, Inc., 1988-2002
- Research Scientist, Northrop Services, Inc. – Environmental Sciences, 1983-1988
- Assistant Research Chemist, University of California, Riverside, 1980-1982
- Postdoctoral Fellow, California State University, Fullerton, 1977-1980
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Chemical Society
- American Geophysical Union
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
Select Awards and Honors:
- "Top-50 most cited articles" in Atmospheric Environment between January 2006 - February 2011
- USEPA, Science and Technology Achievement Award, Level I Award
- USEPA, Honor Award for Exceptional/Outstanding ORD Technical Assistance to the Regions or Program Offices
- USEPA/NERL Special Achievement Award, Team Award 2011
- USEPA/ORD, Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, Team Award, 2010
- USEPA/NERL Special Achievement Award, Team Award, 2010
- USEPA/ORD Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, Team Award, 2008
- USEPA/NERL Special Achievement Award, Atmospheric Chemistry Team, 2007
- T.E. Kleindienst, J.H. Offenberg, M. Lewandowski, I. R. Piletic, M. Jaoui, R.J. Sheesley, J.D. Surratt, 2012, Primary and Secondary Organic Aerosol Contributions during CalNex – Bakersfield, Briefing presented at EPA Region 9, San Francisco, CA, December 4, 2012.
- Kleindienst, T.E., M. Jaoui, M. Lewandowski, J.H. Offenberg, E.O. Edney, Organic aerosol characterization at sites across the United States and the U.S. EPA’s Air, Climate, and Energy Research Program, Presented at the 37th International Symposium of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, Antwerp, Belgium, May 22, 2012.
- Kleindienst, T.E., J.H. Offenberg, M. Lewandowski, I. Piletic, M. Jaoui, A. Lee, C. Bohnenkamp, K. Hoag, C.L. Rubitschun, J.D. Surratt. 2011. Secondary Organic Aerosol Contributions during CalNex – Bakersfield; presented at the CalNex Data Analysis Workshop, Sacramento, CA, May 16-19.
- Kleindienst, T.E. M. Lewandowski, J.H. Offenberg, M. Jaoui, K.S. Docherty. 2010. Investigations of Molecular Tracers from Naphthalene and Its Methyl Analogs. American Association for Aerosol Research Annual Conference, Portland, OR, October 24-28.
- Kleindienst, T.E., M. Lewandowski, J.H. Offenberg, E.O. Edney, M. Jaoui, M. Zheng, X. Ding, E.S. Edgerton. 2009. Primary and secondary precursor contributions to organic aerosol in the SEARCH network during the spring and summer of 2005. American Association of Aerosol Research Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 26-30.
- Kleindienst, T.E., E.O. Edney, M. Lewandowski, J.H. Offenberg, M. Jaoui, 2008. Contribution to Ambient PM2.5 from Secondary Organic Aerosol from the Photooxidation of Aromatic Hydrocarbons. Coordinating Research Council, Workshop on Mobile Source Air Toxics, Phoenix, AZ, December 1-3.
Tadeusz E. Kleindienst
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709