Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Russell W. Long
Title: Research Chemist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division (HEASD)
EPA Branch: Process Modeling Research Branch (PMRB)
Russell’s research involves the development and evaluation of high-time resolution methods for gas phase criteria pollutants with emphasis currently placed on methods for ozone and "true' nitrogen dioxide. His other research areas include: high-time resolution determination and speciation of fine particulate matter and its gaseous precursors; and determination of total reactive oxides of nitrogen and its speciated components in support of the proposed NOx/SOx secondary standard.
- Ph.D., Analytical Chemistry, Brigham Young University, 2002
- B.S., Chemistry, Southern Utah University, 1998
- Research Chemist (GS-1320-13), United States Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC January 2006-present
- Physical Scientist (GS-1301-12), United States Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC December 2002-January 2006
- Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Brigham Young University, January 1999-December 2002
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Brigham Young University, August 1998-January 1999
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR), 2001-present
- American Chemical Society (ACS), 2001-2002
- Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA), 2001-2005, 2008-2009, 2012-present
Select Awards and Honors:
- Roland K. Robins Research Fellowship: Outstanding scholarship and research achievement, Brigham Young University, April 2000
- Garth L. Lee Fellowship: Outstanding graduate student based on scholarship, religion and service, Brigham Young University, April 2001
- Phi Kappa Phi: National Honor Society, February 2002
- EPA “S” (Special Accomplishment Recognition) Award: For noteworthy accomplishments including one-time acts or high quality performance, 2003-2012
- Exceptional/Outstanding ORD Technical Assistance to the Regions or Program Offices, November 2011
- Quality Step Increase, January 2012
- Presentation, “HIGH-TIME RESOLUTION DETERMINATION OF IONS IN MATRIX CHALLENGED AMBIENT AIR SAMPLES USING THE ION CHROMATOGRAPHY BASED URG AMBIENT ION MONITOR” AAAR 29th Annual Conference, Portland, OR. October 25-29, 2010
- High-Time Resolution Determination of Ions in Ambient Air Pollution Using the Ion Chromatography Based URG Ambient Ion Monitor, Webinar on sample preparation techniques for Ion Chromatography January 26, 2011. 1of 3 keynote speakers, approx. 800 registered participants.
- Federal Reference Methods for NOy, p-SO4 and SO2 for a Combined NOx and SOx Secondary NAAQS, presentation to CASAC AMMS subcommittee February 16, 2011.
- Determination of Organic Ions in Ambient Air and Atmospheric Smog Chamber Samples Using the Ion Chromatography Based URG Ambient Ion Monitor AAAR 30th Annual Conference, Orlando, FL. October 3-7, 2011.
- ORD Briefing - NACAA Monitoring Steering Committee Meeting Denver, CO. October 25-26, 2011.
- Assessment and Comparison of Federal Reference and Equivalent Methods for Ozone. Abstract submitted and accepted for presentation at the Air & Waste Management Association’s “Air Quality Measurement Methods and Technology” conference, April 24-26, 2012, Durham, NC.
- Delbert J. Eatough, Brett D. Grover, Woods R. Woolwine, Norman L. Eatough, Kimberly A. Prather, Laura Shields, Xueying Qin, Kerri Denkenberger, Russell W. Long and Robert Farber, “Source apportionment of 1-hr semi-continuous data during the 2005 Study of Organic Aerosols in Riverside (SOAR) using positive matrix factorization.” Atmospheric Environment, 2008, 42 2706-2719
- Jaron C. Hansen, Woods R. Woolwine III, Brittney L. Bates, Jared M. Clark, Roman Y.Kuprov, Puspak Mukherjee, Jacolin A. Murray, Michael A. Simmons, Mark F. Waite, Norman, L. Eatough, Delbert J. Eatough, Russell Long & Brett D. Grover, “Semicontinuous PM2.5 and PM10 Mass and Composition Measurements in Lindon, Utah, during Winter 2007” J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., 2010, 60:346–355
- FRM - Reference Method for the Determination of the Total Oxides of Nitrogen Component of the Indicator for Dry Deposition of Oxides of Sulfur and Nitrogen from the Atmosphere - prepared reviewed, and submitted to OAQPS for inclusion in the FRM docket, July 12, 2011 (NPR).
- FRM - Reference Method for the Determination of the Particulate Sulfate Component of the Indicator for Dry Deposition of Oxides of Sulfur and Nitrogen from the Atmosphere - prepared reviewed, and submitted to OAQPS for inclusion in the FRM docket, July 12, 2011 (NPR).
- FRM - Reference Method for the Determination of the Sulfur Dioxide Component of the Indicator for Dry Deposition of Oxides of Sulfur and Nitrogen from the Atmosphere - prepared reviewed, and submitted to OAQPS for inclusion in the FRM docket, July 12, 2011 (NPR).
- EPA Report - EPA/600/1-11/002 - Federal Reference Methods for NOy and p-SO4 for the New Combined NOx and SOx Secondary NAAQS, January 20, 2011
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709