Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Title: Senior Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Immediate Office
Bruce’s technical background and work experience is in water-related human health toxicology, microbiology and health risk analyses. His current interests include sustainability and health impact analysis.
- B.S., Biology, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, 1981
- Various graduate-level courses in toxicology and public health
- Senior Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD IO, 2011-present
- Assistant Laboratory Director for Water, USEPA, ORD, NERL, 1997-2011
- Supervisory Biologist, USEPA Office of Science and Technology, 1989-1997
- Biologist, USEPA Office of Drinking Water, 1985-1989
- Environmental Scientist, USEPA Office of Municipal Pollution Control, 1981-1985
- Student Trainee, USEPA Office of Water Program Operations, 1979-1981
Select Awards and Honors:
- Seven EPA Bronze Medals
- Six EPA Special Act Awards
- NERL Special Recognition Award – Recreational Waters Research Team, 2011
- Office of Water Achievement in Science & Technology Award, 2010
- Office of Water William A Whittington Human Resources Award, 1991
- “Methylmercury Reference Dose” presented at the annual Southern States Methylmercury Task Force Meeting, April 9, 1996, Jekyl Is. Georgia.
- “Toxicity Ranking Screening Methodology” platform presentation at annual Society of Toxicology Conference, March 11, 1996, Anaheim, California.
- “An Overview of the US EPA’s Drinking Water Standard Setting Process for Essential Elements” presented at the International Workshop on the Scientific Basis for the Regulation of Copper in Potable Water, November 24, 1995, Santiago, Chile.
- "Disinfectants, Disinfectant By-Products and Organic Chemicals: Health Effects and Basis for Recommendations" and "The National Standards Setting Process" presented at November 28 - December 1, 1994 World Health Organization (WHO) Seminar on the WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality, Nairobi, Kenya.
- "Assessing the Health Risks Associated with Triazines in Drinking Water" presented at March 5 - 8, 1995 USDA Clean Water-Clean Environment Conference, Kansas City, Kansas.
- "Risk Assessment and the Clean Water Act and Safe Drinking Water Act" presented at November 1 - 2, 1994 Inside Washington Publishers Environmental Risk Assessment Conference, Washington, DC.
- Workshop Report Recommendations for Planning Disinfectant By-Products Exposure Research. (EPA/600/R-97/131)
- Du JT, B Mintz and RN Hill. 1997. Mode of action for carcinogen risk assessment of hexachlorobutadiene (HCBD). Fundamental and Applied Toxicology, Vol. 36, No. 1, Part 2, p.179 (abstract).
- Mintz BS and JC Riddle. 1996. Toxicity ranking screening methodology. Fundamental and Applied Toxicology, Vol. 30, No. 1, Part 2, p.3 (abstract).
- McGeorge LJ, SJ Krietzman, CJ Dupuy and B Mintz. 1992. National survey of drinking water standards and guidelines for chemical contaminants. AWWA Journal. Vol. 84, No. 3, pp. 72 - 76.
- Mintz B., J. Orme, W. Hartley and R. Vanderslice. 1988. Risk assessment of drinking water contaminants and their applications in USEPA programs. In: Proc. of 1988 North Dakota Ground Water Quality Symposium. North Dakota State University Extension, Bismark, ND. pp. 146 - 158.
- Mintz BS and JM Walker. 1982. Assessing risks from land utilization of sewage sludge. In: Proc. of 14th Nat. Conf. on Composting. Hazardous Materials Control Research Institute, Silver Spring, MD. pp. 34 - 38.
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709