Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
David A. Olson
Title: Research Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Environmental Characterization and Apportionment Branch
- Ph.D., Civil/Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2002
- M.S., Civil/Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1996
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, 1994
- Research Physical Scientist, USEPA, Research Triangle Park, NC 2005-present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, USEPA, Research Triangle Park, NC 2002-2005
- Research and Teaching Assistant, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 1994-2002
Select Awards and Honors:
- NERL Special Achievement Award, air nanomaterials team, 2011
- National Honor Award Silver Medal, the DEARS team, 2009
- National Honor Award Bronze Medal, NERL receptor model development team, 2008
- National Honor Award Bronze Medal, near roadway research team, 2007
- NRMRL Cross-Organizational Teamwork Award, near-road research team, 2007
- National Honor Award Silver Medal, PM human exposure analysis team, 2006
- Special Accomplishment and Team Recognition Award: 2011, 2010 (twice), 2009, 2008 (twice), 2007 (twice), 2006 (twice), 2003-2005
- Olson, D.A., Vedantham, R., Norris, G.A., Brown, S.G., Roberts, P. (2012) “Determining source impacts near roadways using wind regression and organic source markers,” Atmospheric Environment, 47(1), 261-268.
- Duvall, R.M., Norris, G.A., Burke, J.M., Olson, D.A., Vedantham, R., Williams, R. (2012) “Determining spatial variability in PM2.5 source impacts across Detroit, MI,” Atmospheric Environment, 47(1), 491-498.
- Olson, D.A. (2011) “Vapor transport to indoor environments,” Chapter 3 from Vapor Emission To Outdoor Air And Enclosed Spaces For Human Health Risk Assessment: Site Characterization, Monitoring And Modeling, Saponaro, S., Sezenna, E., Bonomo, L., eds., Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Turlington, J.M., Olson, D.A., Stockburger, L., McDow, S.R. (2010) “Trueness, precision, and detectability for sampling and analysis of organic species in airborne particulate matter,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 397(6), 2451-2463.
- Olson, D.A., Hammond, D.M., Seila, R.L., Burke, J.M., Norris, G.A. (2009) “Spatial gradients and source apportionment of volatile organic compounds near roadways,” Atmospheric Environment, 43(35), 5647-5653.
- Olson, D.A., McDow, S.R. (2009) “Near roadway concentrations of organic source markers,” Atmospheric Environment, 43(18), 2862-2867.
David A. Olson
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709