Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Jon R. Sobus
Title: Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure Measurements and Analysis Branch
Jon’s research focuses on identifying and evaluating biomarkers of exposure and health response, and interpreting biomarker measurements with respect to human health risks. His specific research activities include field sampling, laboratory analysis of biological specimens, and analysis of complex datasets using statistical and pharmacokinetic models.
- Ph.D., Environmental Sciences and Engineering, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2008
- B.S., Environmental Health Science, Salisbury University, 2002
- Physical Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, EMAB, 2011-present
- Cross-ORD Postdoctoral Researcher, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, EMAB, 2008-2011
- Student Services Contractor, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, MDAB, 2006-2008
- NIEHS Predoctoral Trainee, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2003-2008
- Environmental Consultant, Booz Allen Hamilton, 2003
- NNEMS Fellow, USEPA, OAR, ORIA, RIENL, 2001
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- Society of Toxicology
- Delta Omega Honor Society in Public Health
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
Select Awards and Honors:
- Bronze Medal, USEPA, 2012
- STAA Award, Honorable Mention, 2011
- S-Team Award, USEPA, 2010
- Superior Accomplishment Recognition Award, USEPA, 2009, 2011, 2012
- Outstanding Research Award, UNC School of Public Health, 2006
- NIEHS Predoctoral Traineeship, UNC School of Public Health, 2003-2008
- Biological Sciences Award for Environmental Health Science, Salisbury University, 2002
- NNEMS Fellowship, USEPA, 2001
- Sobus JR, Andersen EM, Morgan MK, Croghan C, Pleil JD. 2012. Interpreting repeated measurements of urine output, creatinine, and specific gravity from an observational human study. EPA/ORD/NERL/HEASD Work-In-Progress Seminar, RTP, NC.
- Highsmith VR, Tan YM, Edwards S, Sobus JR. 2012. Biomarkers: tools and data to support risk assessment/management decisions. EPA Chemical Safety for Sustainability (CSS) Webinar/Seminar, RTP, NC.
- Sobus JR. 2012. Exposure determinants for high-throughput exposure assessment: what else can we do? EXPODAT2012 Workshop, Budapest, Hungary.
- Sobus JR, Andersen EM, Morgan MK, Croghan C, Pleil JD. 2012. Statistical considerations for interpreting urinary biomarker concentrations. [Session Presentation]. Pittcon™ Conference & Expo, Orlando, Fl, 2012.
- Sobus JR, Tan YM, Edwards S. 2011. Biomarkers research on the “path forward”. [Invited Seminar]. OCSPP Special Program, Arlington, VA.
- Sobus JR, Tan YM, Pleil JD, Sheldon LS. 2011. The role of exposure science in assuring chemical safety for sustainability: a biomonitoring framework as a model for future directions [Session Presentation]. International Society of Exposure Science annual meeting, Baltimore, MD.
- Pleil JD, Williams MA, Sobus JR. Chemical Safety for Sustainability (CSS): Human in vivo biomonitoring data for complementing results from in vitro toxicology – A commentary. Tox Lett. 2012 Dec. 215(3):201-207
- Bereznicki SD, Sobus JR, Vette AF, Stiegel MA, Williams RW. Assessing spatial and temporal variability of VOCs and PM components in outdoor air during the Detroit Exposure and Aerosol Research Study (DEARS). Atmos Environ. 2012 Dec; 61:159-168
- Ghio AJ, Sobus JR, Pleil JD, Madden MC. Controlled human exposure to diesel exhaust. Swiss Med Wkly. 2012 May 31; 142:w13597
- Tan YM, Sobus JR, Chang D, Tornero-Velez R, Goldsmith R, Pleil JD, Dary C. Reconstructing human exposures using biomarkers and other clues. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2012; 15(1):22-38
- Sobus JR, Tan YM, Pleil, JD, Sheldon. A biomonitoring framework to support exposure and risk assessments. Sci Total Environ. 2011 Oct 15; 409(22):4875-84
- Pleil JD, Stiegel MA, Sobus JR. Breath biomarkers in environmental health science: exploring patterns in the human exposome. J Breath Res. 2011 Sep 9;5(4):046005
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709