Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Paul A. Solomon
Title: Senior Research Scientist
EPA Division: Human and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Process Modeling Research Branch
Paul’s areas of expertise and research interests include the development, evaluation, and application of analytical laboratory and particulate matter (PM) field measurement methods, with a focus on coarse and fine PM applied in a range of domestic and international research studies designed to characterize and quantify major, minor, and trace elements and species in air to elucidate source-receptor-exposure relationships and chemical and physical processes occurring in clean and polluted atmospheric environments. More recently, his interests include the development, evaluation, and deployment of micro air pollution monitors (air pollution sensors) with an emphasis on PM mass and composition. Paul also has a strong desire to ensure that research results are communicated to the scientific, public, and policy arenas through coordination and publication of scientific papers in conferences, books, special journal issues, and organizing and chairing international conferences.
Paul has nearly 100 journal publications, about 140 presentations, holds 3 patents in air sampling methods with two patents pending and has also organized 26 special journal issues and chaired four major international air quality conferences.
- Ph.D., Analytical and Environmental Chemistry, University of Arizona, 1984
- B.S., Chemistry (Honors), University of Maryland, 1978
- Senior Research Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL, Las Vegas, NV 2005-present
- Research Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL, Las Vegas, NV 2000-2005
- Research Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL, Raleigh, NC 1998-2000
- Senior Environmental Scientist, Air Quality Unit, Technical and Ecological Services, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, San Ramon, CA 1997-1998
- Senior Environmental Scientist, Department of Research and Development, Environmental, Health, and Safety, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, San Ramon, CA 1990-1997
- Environmental and Analytical Chemist, Air Quality Unit, Technical and Ecological Services, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, San Ramon, CA 1988-1989
- Research Scientist, Environmental Engineering Science Department and Environmental Quality Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 1984-1988
- Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 1983-1984
- Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 1979-1983
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 1978-1979
- Technical and Research Assistant, Nuclear and Analytical Chemistry Division, Department of Chemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 1975-1978
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR) – 1993 to present
Select Awards and Honors:
- Science and Technological Achievement Award, First author award, Level II Award, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2011
- Science and Technological Achievement Award, Co-author award, Honorable mention, 2004
- USEPA Bronze Medal, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2012
- USEPA Gold Medal, 2000
- American Association for Aerosol Research, Loyal Service Award, 2003, 2005, 2010
- USEPA, Award for Superior Performance , 1999-2012 annually
- White, R.M., Paprotny, I., Doering, F., Cascio, W.E., Solomon, P.A., and Gundel, L.A. 2012. Sensors and ‘Apps’ for Community-Based Atmospheric Monitoring, Environmental Manager, Air & Waste Management Assoc. May, 36-40, plus supplemental material.
- Solomon, P.A., Costantini, M., Grahame, T.J., Gerlofs-Nijland, M.E., Cassee, F., Russell, A.G., Brook, J.R., Hopke, P.K., Hidy, G., Phalen, R.F., Saldiva, P., Ebelt Sarnat, S., Balmes, J.R., Tager, I.B., Özkaynak, H., Vedal, S., Wierman, S.S.G., and Costa, D.L. 2012. Air Pollution and Health: Bridging the Gap from Sources to Health Outcomes: Conference Summary. Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, 5(1), 9-62, DOI: 10.1007/s11869-011-0161-4.
- Solomon, P.A., Gehr, P., Bennett, D., Phalen, R., Loyda B. Méndez Rothen-Rutishauser, B., Clift, M., Brandenberger, C., and Mühlfeld, C. 2011. Macroscopic to Microscopic Scales of Particle Dosimetry: From Source to Fate in the Body. Air Quality, Atmosphere, and Health, 5(2), 169–187. DOI 10.1007/s11869-011-0167-y.
- Solomon, P.A., Fraser, M.P., and Hercks, P. 2011. Methods for Chemical Analysis of Atmospheric. In, Kulkarni, P., Baron, P., and Willeke, K. (eds.) Aerosol Measurement: Principles, Techniques, and Applications, Third Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, pp. 153-177. .
- Scheffe R.D., Solomon, P.A. et al. 2009. The National Ambient Air Monitoring Strategy: rethinking the role of national networks. J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., 59:579–590.
- Solomon, P.A. and Sioutas, C. Continuous and Semicontinuous Monitoring Techniques for Particulate Matter Mass and Chemical Components: A Synthesis of Findings from EPA’s Particulate Matter Supersites Program and Related Studies. 2008. J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., 58(2), 164 - 195.
Paul A. Solomon
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709