Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Carvin D. Stevens
Title: Research Chemist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Exposure Measurements and Analysis Branch
A member of the EMAB’S particulate matter team, Carvin is tasked under the Air Climate and Energy (ACE) Task. His research involves working in a team setting using applied research for investigative studies of human exposures. The team develops study designs to test and verify hypothesis for personal exposures and micro-environmental concentrations of air pollutants. The team analyzes data collected from field studies (e.g., DEARS, MASAES and a collaboration with the Czech Republic-Ostrava Exposure Monitoring and Source Apportionment Studies) to investigate the elemental and chemical components of air pollutants. These data are used to evaluate the sources of the pollutants, and the spatial and temporal variations of the components of the pollutant. Data interpretations and literature reviews are used to prepare briefings, presentations and publications to contribute to the existing scientific knowledge. These research findings are used by the agency to develop interventions to help advance environmental policy, and affect the changes necessary to protect human life and the environment.
- B.S., Professional Chemistry, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, 1984
- Advanced studies: Quality Management & Engineering, Environmental Policy, Leadership and Project Management, Statistics, Atmospheric Science, Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Principal investigator/Research Chemist/Quality Assurance Rep: PM Human Exposure Team: Exposure Assessment Research; source to exposure measures, USEPA, ORD, Research Triangle Park, NC 1995-present
- Research and quality assurance, Navy Drug Urinalysis Laboratory, Norfolk Naval Base, Norfolk, VA 1994-1995
- Research and quality assurance, Materials Testing Laboratory, Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, SC 1989-1994
- Pharmaceutical chemist, Applied Analytical Inc., Wilmington, NC 1988-1989
- Textile research, Levi Strauss Inc., Greensboro, NC 1985-1986
- Quality control chemist, Squibb Inc., Greensboro, NC 1984-1985
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- International Society of Exposure Science (ISES)
- American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR)
- Air and Waste Management Association (A&WMA)
- American Society of Quality (ASQ)
Select Awards and Honors:
- USEPA ORD Honor (Bronze) Award, 2003
- USEPA ORD Honor (Silver) Award, 2007
- Stevens, C., Overview of the Tampa Asthmatic Children’s Study, Presented at West Central Florida Air Quality Coordinating Committee, Tampa, FL, October 18, 2002.
- The Tampa Asthmatic Children’s Study (TACS), Carvin D. Stevens, Ron Williams, Alan Vette and Fu-Lin Chen, Presented at HEASD Work in Progress, RTP, NC and National Children’s Study Workshop 2003, Hillsborough County Environmental Commission, Tampa, FL 2002.
- Stevens, C, R W. Williams, F L. Chen, A F. Vette, R L. Seila, E Amos, L S. Sheldon, C Rodes, and J Thornburg. Preliminary Exposure Assessment Findings from the Tampa Asthmatic Children’s Study, Presented at Tampa Environmental Protection Commission, Tampa, FL, April 29, 2003.
- Stevens, C AND R W. Williams. Tampa Asthmatic Children’s Study (TACS). Presented at National Childrens Study Pilot Study, Atlanta, GA, December 17, 2003.
- Stevens, C, R W. Williams, F L. Chen, R L. Seila, A F. Vette, W E. Amos, L S. Sheldon, K W. Leovic, C E. Rodes, AND J Thornburg. Tampa Asthmatic Children’s Study (TACS). Presented at NCS Pilot Study Review, Research Triangle Park, NC, November 21, 2003.
- Stevens, C, Williams, R W. and McCurdy, T. R., Assessing Asthmatic Children's Exposures to Toxic Air Pollutants and their Potential Inhaled Doses Using Time Activity Information and Energy Expenditure Data, Presented at International Society of Exposure Analysis 14th Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA, October 17-21, 2004.
- Williams, R W., L A. Wallace, J C. Suggs, E G. Evans, J P. Creason, V R. Highsmith, L S. Sheldon, A W. Rea, A F. Vette, R B. Zweidinger, K W. Leovic, G A. Norris, M S. Landis, C Reed, H., C Stevens, T L. Conner, C E. Rodes, P A. Lawless, J Thornburg, L.J S. Liu, D Kalman, J Kaufman, J Q. Koenig, T L. Larson, T Lumley, L Sheppard, K Brown, H Suh, A Wheeler, D Gold, P Koutrakis, and M Lippmann. Preliminary Particulate Matter Mass Concentrations Associated with Longitudinal Panel Studies &; Assessing Human Exposures of High Risk Subpopulations to Particulate Matter;. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, EPA/600/R-01/086 (NTIS PB2002-100444), 2001.
- Thornburg, J., Rodes, C. E., Lawless, P., Stevens, C. D. and Williams, R. W., A Pilot Study of the Influence of Residential HVAC Duty Cycle on Indoor Air Quality, Atmospheric Environment. Elsevier Science Ltd, New York, NY, 38(11):1567-1577, (2004).
- Stevens, C.D., Williams, R. and McCurdy, T., Assessing Asthmatic Children's Exposures to Toxic Air Pollutants and their Potential Inhaled Doses Using Time Activity Information and Energy Expenditure Data, ISEA 2004, Philadelphia, PA
- Stevens, C.D., Williams, R. and McCurdy, T., Assessing Exposure Factors of Asthmatic Children, ISEA/ISEE 2006, Paris, France
- Stevens, C.D., Williams, R., Vette, A. and Jones, P., Indoor-Outdoor Characterization of the Elemental Components of PM2.5, ISEE 2007, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Barzyk, T. M., George, B. J., Vette, A. F., Williams, R. W. Croghan, C. W. and Stevens, C. D., Development of a Distance-to-Roadway Proximity Metric to Compare Near-Road Pollutant Levels to a Central Site Monitor, Atmospheric Environment. Elsevier Science Ltd, New York, NY, 43(4):787-797, (2009).
Carvin D. Stevens
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709