Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Sania W. Tong Argao
Title: Physical Scientist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Immediate Office
Sania’s current role is to serve as the Quality Assurance (QA) Manager for HEASD. In this capacity, she works closely with HEASD staff and management as well as the NERL and ORD Directors of QA in order to ensure that environmental data is of sufficient quantity and quality to support the data’s intended use. Sania is committed to working collaboratively and effectively in order to continuously improve HEASD’s quality assurance program. In addition to her QA work and as evident in her selected presentations, Sania also enjoys and believes it is important to reach out and share scientific and career knowledge with the community. In doing so, she hopes to inspire future generations of scientists and those in other disciplines to think of EPA as a potential career choice.
- M.S., Public Health Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago – School of Public Health, 2004
- B.S., Biology/Pre-Medicine, Augustana College, 2000
- Acting HEASD Quality Assurance Manager (Detail), USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, RTP, NC 2012-present
- Deputy HEASD Quality Assurance Manager (Detail), USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, RTP, NC 2011
- Special Emphasis Program Manager for Asian American/Pacific Islander Employment Program, USEPA, OCR, RTP, NC 2007-2011
- Physical Scientist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, ECAB, RTP, NC 2006-2011.
- Physical Scientist/Environmental Scientist – EPA Intern Program, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD, RTP, NC 2004-2006
- Environmental Chemistry Laboratory Technician, Illinois Department of Public Health, Chicago, IL 2004
- Visiting Research Specialist in Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago – School of Public Health, Chicago, IL 2004
- Consultant (Laboratory Research Scientist), Chicago Park District, Chicago, IL 2003
- Research Assistant, University of Illinois at Chicago – School of Public Health, Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences Division, Chicago, IL 2001-2003
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals – North Carolina Triangle Chapter, 2005-present
- EPA-RTP Speakers Bureau, Member, 2007-Present
- EPA-RTP Toastmasters - Peak Speakers Club, 2007-2011
- International Society of Exposure Analysis (ISEA), Member, 2007-2008
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Student Member, 2003
- American Public Health Association, Student Member, 2002-2003
Select Awards and Honors:
- USEPA NERL Special Achievement Award “Diversity Award” for dedication to promoting a diverse work environment and accommodating the special needs of fellow EPA employees, 2011
- USEPA, Special Accomplishment Recognition Award, 8 "S" awards, 2006-2012
- USEPA, Team Award, 4 "T" awards, 2008-2011
- USEPA, On-the-Spot Award, 1 “OTS” award, 2010
- USEPA, EPA Intern Program Graduation, 2006
- Tong Argao, S.W. 2012. How to Find and Apply: Federal Government and Non-Profit Organizations. 2012 East Coast Asian American Student Union Conference at Duke University, Durham, NC.
- Tong Argao, S.W. 2011. Careers at the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Durham Mayor’s Summer Youth Program, Durham, NC.
- Tong Argao, S.W. 2009. Indoor Air Pollution and How You Can Improve It. Panther Creek High School - SMART Lunch Speaker Series, Cary, NC.
- Tong Argao, S.W. 2008. Life as a Research Physical Scientist. Davis Drive Middle School - 8th Grade Career Fair, Cary, NC.
- Tong Argao, S.W. 2007. Bioaccumulation & Fish Consumption Lesson Plan. NC Science Teacher's Association Conference, Greensboro, NC.
- Tong Argao, S.W. and S. Jackson. 2007. EPA Intern Program. Presentation requested by University of North Carolina - Pembroke through the EPA-RTP Speaker’s Bureau, Pembroke, NC.
- McDow, S.R.; Mazurek, M.A.; Li, M.; Alter, L.; Graham, J.; Felton, H.D.; McKenna, T.; Pietarinen, C.; Leston, A.; Bailey, S.; and Tong Argao, S.W. 2008. Speciation and Atmospheric Abundance of Organic Compounds in PM2.5 from the New York City Area. I. Sampling Network, Sampler Evaluation, Molecular Level Blank Evaluation. Aerosol Science and Technology, 42(1):50-63.
- Claus Henn, B.; Tong Argao, S.; McMaster, S.; and Padilla, S. 2008. Salivary Cholinesterase Activity in Children with Organic and Conventional Diets. Epidemiology, 19(6):S254-S255.
Sania W. Tong Argao
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
109 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709