Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Staff
Jeanette M. Van Emon
Title: Research Chemist
EPA Division: Human Exposure and Atmospheric Sciences Division
EPA Branch: Methods Development and Application Branch
Current research addresses the development and application of immunochemical and instrumental methods for biomarker discovery and identification. Human cell cultures are exposed to environmental contaminants and the cellular effects are monitored using proteomic and genomic methods. Biomarkers are needed to link exposures to an adverse outcome pathway or a key mode-of-action event. Methods employed include multiplexed flow cytometric immunoassays and multiplexed microarrays for parent compounds, metabolites, and human biomarkers. Multiplexed immunoassay methods facilitate a proteomic approach for biomarker discovery and provide a high-throughput analysis. This research builds on past methods development projects for pesticides (parent and metabolites), PCBs, and dioxins in environmental and biological matrices. This previous analytical work has been applied to environmental monitoring studies. Projects are frequently conducted with collaborators from other Agencies.
- Post-Doctoral, Biomedical Sciences, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Ph.D., Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry, University of California, Davis
- B.S., Environmental Sciences, California State University, Hayward
- Research Chemist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-HEASD-MDAB, 1987-present
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Chemical Society, Councilor for the Agrochemicals Division
- American Chemical Society, Chairman of the Western Regional Board
- Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Editorial Board Member
Select Awards and Honors:
- American Chemical Society, Fellow, Class of 2012
- American Chemical Society, Outstanding Service Award, 2012, 2009
- USEPA ORD Bronze Medal Honor Award, 2010, 2002, and 1991
- American Chemical Society, Agrochemical Division Leadership Award, 2003
- Member, Chemical Sciences Roundtable, National Science Foundation, 1999-2002
- USEPA, ORD Statesmanship Award, 1999
- Southern Nevada Federal Executive Association, Outstanding Science Accomplishment, 2000
- USEPA/American Chemical Society joint Science Achievement Award in Chemistry, 1992 & 1996
- Chuang, J. C., Van Emon, J. M., “Development of a Simultaneous Extraction and Cleanup Method for Pyrethroid Pesticides from Indoor House Dust Samples.” Presentation at the 243st Western Regional American Chemical Society Meeting, Pasadena, CA, November 10-12, 2011.
- Rice, P., Rice, P., Van Emon, J.M., Arthur, E. “Sustainability Initiatives in Agriculture: The Role of Science. Paper presented at the 242nd National American Chemical Society Meeting (Denver, CO) August, 2011.
- Van Emon, J. M., The Changing Face of Chemistry in the 21st Century as presented at the 42nd Western Regional Meeting (Las Vegas, NV.) Poster Presentation for the Chemluminary Award Ceremony National ACS Meeting, Boston, MA, Aug 20 – 25, 2010.
- Van Emon, J.M., and Chuang, J.C. “Biological Monitoring of 3-Phenoxybenzoic acid in Urine by an Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay.” Paper presented at the 241st National American Chemical Society Meeting (San Diego, CA) March 27-31, 2011.
- Medina-Vera, M. and Van Emon, J.M., “Women Scientists at the U.S. EPA: A Driving Force.” Invited platform presentation given at the 42nd Western Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, September 23-27, 2008, Las Vegas, NV.
Jeanette M. Van Emon
Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
US EPA Office of Research and Development
944 E. Harmon Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89119