Heat Island Effect
Conference Call/Webcast Presentations, April 2007
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Tree Canopy Programs in the Washington DC-MD-VA Air Quality Plan
- Sacramento's Urban Forests for Clean Air Project
- Portland, Oregon's Green Roof Activities
Presentation by Gary Allen, Executive Director of the Center for Chesapeake Communities.
- Trees and Air Quality Planning Critical steps for Inclusion of Tree Planting into the State Implementation Plan (SIP) (PDF, 3,354KB)
Gary Allen provided an overview of the policy and implementation issues around including voluntary urban forestry programs in the Washington DC-MD-VA State Implementation Plan (SIP).
Presentation by Charles Anderson, Program Coordinator - Planning & Emissions Inventory, with the Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District.
- Urban Forest for Clean Air Demonstration Project (PDF, 173KB)
Charles Anderson gave an update on this effort - which involved securing a $725,000 grant - to include urban forestry in the SIP as a control measure.
Presentation by Tom Liptan, Environmental Specialist with the City of Portland Bureau of Environmental Services.
- Ecoroofs & Other Green City Strategies in Portland, Oregon (PDF, 2,572KB)
Tom Liptan presented on the city's numerous green roof - or "ecoroof" - activities ranging from research efforts to policy measures.