IAQ Tribal Partners Program
Learn About IAQ
IAQ in Tribal Communities
American Indian and Native Alaskan communities may be disproportionately affected by health problems associated with poor indoor air quality, such as lung cancer.1 However, many actions can be taken to improve IAQ in tribal communities to slowly begin to change those statistics.
This Website can help you improve IAQ in your tribal community. You can find information to educate your community about the simple actions they can take to improve their IAQ and protect their health, as well as examples of how other tribes have created sustainable community outreach and education programs.
Read about Innovative Tribal Programs:
- The Navajo Nation EPA Radon Program
- The Cowlitz Weatherization Program
- The Tribal IAQ Summit Workgroup
- The Tulalip Tribes Indoor Air Program
- The Bois Forte Indoor Air Quality Program
- EPA’s Tribal Air Website contains information about many tribal policies and initiatives on air quality.
- EPA’s Tribal Nations Children’s Environmental Health Resource Guide (PDF) (23 pp., 441 K, about PDF) offers a comprehensive listing of environmental health resources.
- For environmental justice air quality case studies, grant availability, technical tools and notes from meetings or conferences, visit EPA's Office of Air and Radiation EJAir Website.
Communities in Action for Asthma Friendly Environments Online Network AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org is designed for community-based asthma programs and organizations that sponsor them — including representatives of health plans and providers, government health and environmental agencies, tribal communities, nonprofits, coalitions, schools and more.
National Native Commercial Tobacco Abuse Prevention Network
The National Native Commercial Tobacco Abuse Prevention Network is committed to preserving the sacred status of traditional tobacco and its ceremonial / sacred uses. The national network is a diverse community of American Indian / Alaska Natives leading commercial tobacco abuse prevention efforts throughout Indian Country. KeepItSacred.org is a one-stop connection to resources to assist you develop commercial tobacco abuse prevention efforts.
Indian Health Service: Tobacco Control Task Force
The “Tobacco Control Strategic Plan”, developed by Tobacco Control Task Force (TCTF) representatives from the Indian Health Service (IHS), highlights how community readiness can be fostered in a healthcare setting.
Learn About IAQ
- IAQ in Tribal Communities
- Asthma Triggers
- Secondhand Smoke
- Wood Smoke
- Carbon Monoxide
- Other Pollutants
We want your input
Have you planned a successful and sustainable community program? If so, we would like to know. Please send us an e-mail at email@example.com describing the program, and that program could be highlighted here. We will follow up with the program directly to gather more information and permission to use their story.
|Asthma Triggers Carbon Monoxide Community Programs Directory of Tribal Champions||Innovative Tribal Programs Learn about IAQ Working with the Media Moisture/Mold||Other Pollutants Radon Programs in Schools Secondhand Smoke||Wood Smoke Indoor Air Quality|