Public Participation Guide
EPA's Public Participation Guide provides tools for public participation and public outreach in environmental decision-making.
This guide is designed with government agencies in mind, to help those who must manage the process where public participation is important for decision-making.
It will help you identify some of the best practices for planning, skills and behaviors that government agencies can use to design and implement a meaningful public participation program.
Who is Using this Guide?
It is initially focused on the Middle East, citing examples of public participation and public outreach from countries throughout the Middle East region.
The guide will be used in other regions of the world, including Central America, Chile, Africa, and Asia.
New Printable Versions of the Guide:
Download a version of this guide in:
- English (PDF) (32 pg, 506 K About PDF Files)
- Spanish (PDF) (71 pg, 735 K About PDF Files)
- Arabic (PDF) (101 pg, 1.75 M About PDF Files)
- French (PDF) (126 pg, 1.27 M About PDF Files)
- Simplified Chinese characters (PDF) (37 pg, 565K About PDF Files)
- Traditional Chinese characters (PDF) (37 pg, 521K About PDF Files)
Guide sections include:
- Introduction to the Public Participation Guide
- Introduction to Public Participation
- Public Participation Situation Assessments
- Selecting the Right Level of Public Participation
- Public Participation Process Design
- Public Participation Tools
- Public Participation Workshops
- Public Participation Foundational Skills, Knowledge, and Behaviors
- Public Participation Resources
For additional information on EPA's Public Participation Guide, contact:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of International and Tribal Affairs (2650R)
1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20460