IRIS Bimonthly Public Meeting (February 2014)
UPDATE: In response to public comments heard at the December bimonthly public meeting, EPA is canceling the February 26-27, 2014, IRIS bimonthly public meeting to allow time to prepare additional materials on why the EPA is conducting an assessment on study methods and quality that will promote more robust discussions at future public meetings.
Future Step-1 materials will include information about why EPA is undertaking an assessment, and will include information about study methods and quality that would be important in subsequent assessment development. These actions are responsive to recommendations received from the public during the December bimonthly meeting and should not delay the release of final IRIS assessments. Additional details for the next scheduled IRIS bimonthly meeting can be found on the public meeting calendar.
In December 2013, EPA released the draft literature search and associated search strategy, evidence table, and exposure response array for the following chemical to obtain input from stakeholders and the public prior to developing the draft IRIS assessments. Specifically, EPA is interested in comments on the following:
- Draft literature search strategies
- The approach for identifying studies
- The screening process for selecting pertinent studies
- The resulting list of pertinent studies
- Preliminary evidence tables
- The process for selecting studies to include in evidence tables
- The quality of the studies in the evidence tables
The literature search strategy, which describes the processes for identifying scientific literature, contains the studies that EPA considered and selected to include in the evidence tables. The preliminary evidence tables and exposure-response arrays present the key study data in a standardized format. The evidence tables summarize the available critical scientific literature. The exposure-response figures provide a graphical representation of the responses at different levels of exposure for each study in the evidence table.
The chemical and associated materials under discussion include:
diethyl phthalate (DEP) - Chemical Manager: James (Andre) Weaver
- Preliminary draft literature search and associated strategy and evidence tables for DEP (PDF) (95pp, 1.35MB)
- Primary literature search references sorted by author (DEP) (dynamic literature link - generated by HERO, leaving the IRIS website)
- Augmented literature search for epidemiological references sorted by author (DEP) (dynamic literature link - generated by HERO, leaving the IRIS website)
- Literature selection process for DEP primary literature - (generated by HERO, leaving the IRIS website)
- Literature selection process for DEP augmented epidemiological literature - (generated by HERO, leaving the IRIS website)
- Provide comments on these materials in the DEP docket, using docket ID# EPA-HQ-ORD-2013-0782 as described in the August 9, 2013 Federal Register Notice.