EPA actively promotes land revitalization. Working in conjunction with government agencies at the local, state, and federal levels, as well as external partners, the Land Revitalization Program supports all stages of the land revitalization process. Whether sharing best practices with the public and government employees, supporting assessments of neighborhoods and properties, or working with communities to envision redevelopment of remediated land, EPA provides tools to facilitate successful results. Read more about Land Revitalization at EPA.
- The Land Revitalization Team's Program Guide (PDF) (2 pp, 2.2M, about PDF)
This program guide includes an overview of the Team's mission, priorities, goals, and approach.
- Land Revitalization Success Stories, 2011 (PDF) (40 pp, 2.3M, about PDF)
This collection of real-world examples showcases the wide variety of successful land revitalization projects to which the Land Revitalization Program contributed.
- Land Revitalization Fact Sheet
Cleveland Velodrome (PDF) (2 pp, 603K)
- Land Revitalization Fact Sheets
The following two-page fact sheets each focus on a particular dimension of land revitalization, summarizing the topic and providing specific examples of implementation.
- Auto Sector (PDF) (2 pp, 580K, about PDF)
- Demolition Practices (PDF) (2 pp, 1.1M, about PDF)
- Green Infrastructure (PDF) (2 pp, 976K, about PDF)
- Historic Highways (PDF) (2 pp, 828K, about PDF)
- Land Banking (PDF) (2 pp, 1.2M, about PDF)
- Sustainable Recovery (PDF) (2 pp, 749K, about PDF)
- Urban Agriculture (PDF) (2 pp, 968K, about PDF)
- Urban Soils (PDF) (2 pp, 1.3M, about PDF)
Programs and Offices Working on Land Revitalization
EPA's Brownfields Program is designed to empower states, communities, and other stakeholders in economic redevelopment to work together in a timely manner to prevent, assess, safely clean up, and sustainably reuse Brownfields.
EPA's Superfund Redevelopment Program is working to encourage communities at every cleanup site to consider anticipated future reuses early so that cleanups can accommodate those uses while maintaining standards that protect human health and the environment.
- Underground Storage Tanks
EPA's Office of Underground Storage Tanks supports the cleanup and reuse of abandoned properties contaminated with petroleum from underground storage tanks.
- Federal Facilities Restoration
EPA's Federal Facilities Restoration and Reuse Office (FFRRO) works with other federal entities to facilitate faster, more effective, and less costly cleanup and reuse of federal facilities.
- RCRA Brownfields
EPA's Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Brownfields Prevention Program encourages the continued use and reuse of RCRA sites so that the land better serves the needs of the community.
- Brownfields Initiative
Encourages the continued use and reuse of RCRA sites so that the land better serves the needs of the community.
- Brownfields and Land Revitalization Technology Support Center
Provides information about the use of innovative site investigation and cleanup technology at land revitalization sites.