EPA helps communities grow in ways that expand economic opportunity, protect public health and the environment, and create and enhance the places that people love. Through research, tools, partnerships, case studies, grants, and technical assistance, EPA is helping America's communities turn their visions of the future into reality.
- EPA joins the Appalachian Regional Commission and the U.S. Department of Agriculture in announcing the 2014 recipients of the Livable Communities in Appalachia program. Read the press release.
Request for Proposals
- EPA’s Office of Sustainable Communities is seeking proposals for further development and ongoing maintenance of a Smart Growth Information Clearinghouse. The deadline is 5:00 p.m. Eastern, Monday, May 12.
- Using Smart Growth Strategies to Create More Resilient Communities in the Washington, D.C., Region gives local governments policy options to consider when preparing for climate risks while also meeting other environmental, economic, and social goals.
- Our Built and Natural Environments: A Technical Review of the Interactions Between Land Use, Transportation, and Environmental Quality (2nd Edition) examines how development patterns affect the environment and human health and provides evidence that certain kinds of land use and transportation strategies can reduce development impacts. Read the press release.
Green Building Standards: Learn about six major model codes and rating systems that communities can use to develop green building programs and revise building ordinances.
- Get the latest news on EPA Smart Growth publications, webinars, technical assistance opportunities, and more on our Smart Growth Listserv. Want more news on smart growth? Sign up for our Twitter feed @EPASmartGrowth.
About Smart Growth
Learn about smart growth issues and environmental benefits. Find information about specific topics, resources, and examples of smart growth development, including the National Award for Smart Growth Achievement.
EPA is a Smart Growth Network partner.