Landfill Methane Outreach Program
Jefferson Parish and Cytec Industries LFG Energy Project
- Westwego, Louisiana
- End User(s):
- Cytec Industries Inc.
- Jefferson Parish Landfill
- Landfill Size:
- 11.2 million tons waste-in-place (2008)
- Project Type:
- Direct Thermal (process air pre-heater and furnace)
- Project Size:
- 1,180 standard cubic feet per minute (scfm)
- Environmental Benefits:
- Carbon sequestered annually by 3,100 acres of pine or fir forests, annual greenhouse gas emissions from 2,800 passenger vehicles, or carbon dioxide emissions from 34,200 barrels of oil consumed. Annual energy savings equate to heating 4,000 homes. Estimated emissions reductions of 0.0040 million metric tons of carbon equivalents.
- LMOP Partners Involved:
- CPL Systems Inc., Cytec Industries Inc., Jefferson Parish Department of Environmental Affairs, Renovar Energy Corp., Shaw Environmental, Inc.
- Last Updated:
Project developers overcame the greater forces of nature to complete this direct-use project. With construction during the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita, developers faced downed power lines, impassable streets, low water pressure, gas leaks, and flood waters.
With lost subcontracts and a shortage of labor and materials due to clean-up and recovery, the project partners faced unprecedented hurdles. During construction, challenges included locating utilities and securing permits with utility companies that were already swamped with other priorities. However, the project team, led by project developer Renovar Energy, came together to complete the job as planned, earning LMOP's 2006 Project of the Year award.
The project's highlights include the following:
- 4.2-mile pipeline connects Jefferson Parish Landfill and Cytec Industries.
- Previously flared landfill gas used as alternative fuel reduces dependence on fossil fuels.
- Provides long-term economic benefit to all parties.
In a February 2006 ceremony, Cytec celebrated project completion, recognizing the high degree of cooperation that arose in the face of extraordinary turmoil.