Landfill Methane Outreach Program
Many programs are available to provide financing or incentives for LFG energy projects. The resources available through this website will help project developers identify funding resources and evaluate options. Information about the following types of programs is provided:
- Grants that provide direct financial support
- Loans in which a lender (for example, a government agency or a nonprofit organization) provides funding that a project developer agrees to repay, along with interest, at some future date
- Tax credits and exemptions that reduce the tax liability of eligible parties
- Production incentives for qualifying LFG energy facilities that generate electricity
- Basic Funding Information – review basic information about project funding and financing considerations
- Federal Funding Resources – learn about federal funding resources
- State Funding Resources and Renewable Portfolio Standards (RPS) – find state-specific information about funding resources and incentives
The EPA does not intend for this website to provide an exhaustive list of available funding programs for LFG energy projects. The Database of State Incentives for Renewable Energy (DSIRE), funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and managed by LMOP State Partner North Carolina Solar Center, provides a comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility and selected federal incentives that promote renewable energy resources, including LFG. The DSIRE frequently asked questions page provides helpful tips on using the database.
For More Information
Additional details and information is available by visiting the websites provided for each of the funding resources. If you have additional questions about project eligibility or the application process, contact the program representative using the email address or phone number provided. Project developers may find it valuable to speak to the program representatives about their experiences and lessons learned in funding LFG energy projects. Please Contact Us to submit a question or to recommend other funding resources for this website.