The SF6 Emission Reduction Partnership for the Magnesium Industry is a cooperative effort between EPA and the U.S. magnesium industry to better understand and reduce emissions of SF6, a potent greenhouse gas, from magnesium production and casting processes. In February 2003, EPA’s Partners and the International Magnesium Association (IMA), committed to eliminate SF6 emissions by year-end 2010. EPA’s voluntary partnership with the magnesium industry is facilitating remarkable progress towards eliminating SF6 emissions by identifying, evaluating, and implementing cost-effective climate protection strategies and technologies including alternative cover gases.
- Characterization of Cover Gas and Byproduct Emissions from Secondary Magnesium Ingot Casting
- 4th Annual Global Magnesium Industry Climate Protection Workshop Proceedings Now Available
- Characterization of Emissions and Occupational Exposure Associated with Five Melt Protection Technologies for Magnesium Die Casting.
- SF6 / Cover Gas Emissions Tracking & Reporting Tool
The following links provide more information on the SF6 Emission Reduction Partnership for the Magnesium Industry:
- Basic Information – Learn more about SF6 emissions from magnesium production and casting processes and how EPA is working collaboratively with the industry to eliminate emissions.
- Accomplishments – Learn more about the SF6 Emission Reduction Partnership for the Magnesium Industry’s successes in facilitating practical and cost-effective emission reductions.
- Partners – Meet the U.S. magnesium producers and casting companies leading the industry’s efforts to reduce SF6 emissions and implement new, more environmentally friendly cover gas technologies.
- Newsroom – View EPA press releases and additional information on Partnership events, awards, and accomplishments.
- Documents, Tools, and Resources – Find publications and technical tools that provide more information on SF6 emissions measurement and reduction strategies.
- International Activities – Learn more about the EPA and IMA’s cooperative efforts to identify, evaluate, and implement alternative cover gases.
- Conferences – Learn more about upcoming technical meetings such as the International Conference on SF6 and the Environment.