Jump to main content.

Working with EPA

Federal Career Positions | Senior Environmental Employment Program | Internships, Fellowships, Students & Recent Grads | EPA-University of Minnesota | Volunteers & Visitors | EPA STAR Research Grants|


Federal Career Positions

Top of page

Senior Environmental Employment Program

Top of page

Internships, Fellowships, Students and Recent Graduates

Top of page

EPA-University of Minnesota

EPA - University of Minnesota Cooperative Training Partnership in Aquatic Toxicology and Ecosystem Research

The Cooperative Training Partnership in Aquatic Toxicology and Ecosystem Research was awarded as a cooperative agreement in March 2011, to train undergraduate and graduate students, as well as postdoctoral investigators in aquatic toxicology and ecosystem research. Personnel from the USEPA Mid-Continent Ecology Division (EPA-MED) and the University of Minnesota train these individuals. All USEPA-MED scientists can participate in the Cooperative Training Program. Faculty members at the University of Minnesota can participate by co-advising a graduate student, postdoctoral investigator, or undergraduate student in cooperation with USEPA-MED scientists. Opportunities within this program are dependent upon funding availability for each position. For more information, contact:

University of Minnesota Contact

Name Dr. Randall E. Hicks
Role Program Director
Address Department of Biology
Water Resources Center
University of Minnesota Duluth
University of Minnesota
207 Swenson Science Building
173 McNeal Hall
Duluth, MN  55812
Telephone 218-726-8438
Fax 218-726-8142
Email rhicks@d.umn.edu

EPA-MED Contact

Name Karis Boerner
Role Acting Associate Director for Program Operations
Address USEPA National Health & Environmental Effects Research Laboratory
Mid-Continent Ecology Division
6201 Congdon Blvd.
Duluth, MN  55804-2595
Telephone 218-529-5035
Fax 218-529-5015
Email boerner.karis@epa.gov

Top of page

Volunteers & Visiting Scientists

Visiting scientists work with MED staff to meet environmental challenges

Contact the Division's Human Resources Coordinator, Carrie Jacox or MED's International Visitor Coordinator, Barbara Sheedy 218-529-5192.

Non-Funded volunteers and visiting scientists

Student volunteers are accepted by EPA at anytime. Student volunteer service provides high school or college students with an opportunity to obtain work experience related to their academic program. To be eligible to participate as a volunteer, students must be enrolled at least half-time in an accredited high school, trade school, technical or vocational school, a junior or community college, a four-year college or university, or any other accredited educational institution. Students may work during the school year or during summer or other vacation periods. Students interested in volunteering should provide the following: a letter expressing interest in volunteering, the type of work (s)he is interested in doing; and his/her availability; a resume describing past/present school and work experiences; and a copy of his/her latest transcripts or other proof of student status. Contact the Division for further information 218-529-5000.

A guest worker is an individual from private industry, academia, the public and foreign governments or institutions who seek to cooperate with EPA researchers at our facilities. For further information contact Karis Boerner 218-529-5035.

Top of page

EPA STAR Research Grants

Top of page

Research and Development Home || NHEERL Home || Grosse Ile Home

Local Navigation

Jump to main content.