Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Staff
Kaneatra J. Simmons
Title: Microbiologist (Cross ORD Postdoctoral Fellow)
EPA Division: Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
EPA Branch: Microbial Exposure Research Branch
Kaneatra’s research utilizes technical and laboratory expertise in microbiology, immunology, and molecular biology to investigate microbial exposure in humans (both nationally and globally) caused by environmentally relevant pathogens. Her current research interests are focused towards the development and application of novel multiplexed biomarker based immunoassays using human saliva and serum samples to assess pathogen exposure in both recreational and drinking water.
- Ph.D. Biomedical Sciences, Meharry Medical College
- B.S. Biology, Paine College
- Microbiologist – Postdoctoral Fellow, USEPA, ORD, NERL-MCEARD, Cincinnati, OH 2009-present
- Emerging Infectious Diseases Postdoctoral Fellow, CDC, NCIRD, DBD, Atlanta, GA 2007-2009
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Society of Microbiology
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Select Awards and Honors:
- H1N1 Influenza Outbreak CDC IMS Laboratory Desk Volunteer, Emergency Operations Center (EOC), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2009
- Salmonella typhimurium Outbreak Call Center Volunteer Participant, Director's Emergency Operations Center (DEOC), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2009
- Acres of Diamonds Award, Minority Trainee Research Forum, NIH 2005
- Ruth L. Kirschstein-NRSA for Individual Pre-Doctoral Fellows (5F31AI056667), 2003-2005
- Simmons KJ, Curioso C, Eason T, Griffin SM, Fout GS, Wade T, Augustine SAJ. Development of a rapid and sensitive saliva-based, multiplex immunoassay to measure human exposure to waterborne pathogens. The International Society for Exposure Science 2011.
- Simmons, K.J., Curioso, C., Eason, T., Griffin, S., Fout, G.S., Wade, T., Egorov, A., and Augustine, S.A.J. A novel multiplexed immunoassay using salivary antibodies to detect human exposure to waterborne pathogens in drinking and recreational water. American Association of Immunologists 2011.
- Whitmon J, Carlone A, Simmons KJ, Williamson YM, Schieltz DM, Woolfit AR, Rees J, Bromberek E, Moura H, Barr JR, Sampson JS, Ades EW. A novel proteomic approach for analysis of Haemophilus influenzae strains. American Society for Microbiology 2010.
- Simmons KJ, Whitmon JN, WilliamsonYW, Rees J, Sampson JS, Moura H, Tondella M, Barr J, Carlone G, Messonnier N. Experimental Biology 2009. Comparative proteomic analysis of an enriched membrane fraction of strains of Bordetella pertussis using electrospray ionization (ESI) mass spectrometry.
Kaneatra J. Simmons
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
27 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268