Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Staff
Title: Research Chemist
EPA Division: Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
EPA Branch: Chemical Exposure Research Branch
Jody is a principal investigator for projects involving the development of analytical methods for organic chemicals listed on the Contaminate Candidate List (CCL). The methods are usually adopted into Federal Regulations for the monitoring of drinking water under the Safe Drinking Water Act and used in Unregulated Contaminant Monitoring Regulations to determine nationwide occurrence of targeted organic contaminants in drinking water. Typical procedures employed include sample extraction and concentration followed by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) or liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS). Jody was co-principal investigator on the development of EPA Method 525.2 for the measurement of semivolatile contaminants in drinking water using GC/MS, EPA Method 535 for measurement of acetanilide herbicide degradates in drinking water using LC/MS/MS, and EPA Method 537 for measurement of perfluoroalkyl compounds in drinking water using LC/MS/MS.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Florida, 1991
- B.S. Chemistry, Notre Dame College of Ohio, 1986
- Research Chemist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-MCEARD, Cincinnati, OH 1991-present
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry
Select Awards and Honors:
- NERL Special Achievement Award, 2010
- USEPA National Honor Award, 2009
- USEPA STAA Award, Level III, 2009
- USEPA STAA Award, Honorable Mention, 2008
- USEPA ORD Bronze Medal, 2007
- USEPA STAA Award Level III, 2005
- USEPA ORD Bronze Medal, 2003
- USEPA STAA Award, Level III, 2002
- Shoemaker, J.A.; Munch, J.W.; Grimmett, P.E.; Tettenhorst, D.R. U.S. EPA’s Approach to the Development of New Analytical Methods for Contaminants of Emerging Concern in Drinking Water, Groundwater Resources Association’s Symposium on Compounds of Emerging Concern in Groundwater, Concord, CA, February 2012.
- Shoemaker, J.A. and Tettenhorst, D.R. Evaluation of On-line Solid Phase Extraction-LC/MS/MS for the Analysis of Chemicals on U.S. EPA’s Contaminant Candidate List 3, American Water Works Association Water Quality Technology Conference, Phoenix, AZ, November 2011.
- Shoemaker, J.A. and Tettenhorst, D.R. Development of a U.S. EPA Method for the Analysis of Selected CCL 3 Drinking Water Contaminants by Solid Phase Extraction and LC/MS/MS, American Water Works Association Water Quality Technology Conference, Savannah, GA, November 2010.
- Shoemaker J.A. Application of LC/MS/MS Techniques to the Development of US EPA Drinking Water Methods for Chemicals on the Contaminant Candidate List, 5th Annual Workshop on LC/MS/MS Applications in Environmental Analysis, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, April 2009.
- Antoniou, M.G.; Shoemaker, J.A.; de la Cruz, A.A.; Dionysiou, D.D. LC/MS/MS Structure Elucidation of Reaction Intermediates Formed during the TiO2 Photocatalysis of Microcystin-LR, 235th American Chemical Society National Meeting (ACS), New Orleans, LA, April 2008.
- Shoemaker, J.A. Development of an EPA Method for Perfluoroalkyl Compounds in Drinking Water, American Water Works Association Water Technology Conference, Denver, CO, November 2006.
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
27 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268