Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Staff
Eunice A. Varughese
EPA Division: Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
EPA Branch: Biohazard Assessment Research Branch
Develop innovative and sustainable methods for detection of multiple microbes in recreational, drinking, and wastewater matrices. Expertise is in using cell culture methods to improve the detection of waterborne protozoan parasites and utilizing proteomics to determine exposure factors involved in virulence on the host side and pathogen side. In addition, I work on development of molecular methods for detection of viruses and parasites, improving methods to determine occurrence of viruses and parasites in water, molecular applications in determining efficiency of disinfectants on bacterial spores. To perform my work, I use a variety of tools, such as flow cytometer, microscopy, and robotics to perform high-throughput analysis for molecular applications.
- Ph.D., Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati School of Medicine, (in progress)
- M.S., Microbiology, Baylor University, Waco, TX, 1999
- B.S., Biology, Baylor University, Waco, TX, 1997
- Microbiologist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-MCEARD, Cincinnati, OH, 2003 – Present
- Microbiologist, Apyron Technologies, Inc., Atlanta, GA, 2000 – 2002
- Research Associate, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1999 – 2000
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- Toastmasters International
Select Awards and Honors:
- ORD Bronze Award, ORD Honor Awards, US EPA, 2011
- Ohio Valley Society of Toxicology, Best Poster Presentation, 2010
- US EPA Scientific and Technological Achievement Award (STAA), 2009
- NERL Quality Assurance Award, NERL Honor Awards, US EPA, 2009
- Project Advisory Committee Member, Water Research Foundation, 2008-present
- Mentor for STEP Student Summer Internship Program, 2008
- Quality Assurance Representative, BARB, 10/2004- present
- Participant, CCL Pathogen Theme Team for the Drinking Water Multi-Year Plan, 2006
- Participant, ORD Leadership Developmental Program, 2004-2006
- Participant, Planning Team for Sample Preparation for Waterborne Pathogens Wkshp, 2005-2006
- Varughese, E.A., Yadav, J.S. 2011. Actin-Associated Targets of Infection in an Epithelial Cell Model of Cryptosporidiosis. Poster for Microbial Pathogenesis & Host Response Conference. Woods Hole, MA.
- Varughese, E.A. 2011. How to Setup a PCR Lab. Presentation for Laboratory Technical Information Group (LTIG) Annual Meeting, Ft. Meade, MD.
- Varughese, E.A. 2011. PCR QA/QC. Presentation for Laboratory Technical Information Group (LTIG) Annual Meeting, Ft. Meade, MD.
- Varughese, E.A., Yadav, J.S. 2010. Molecular Targets of Infection in an Epithelial Cell Model of Cryptosporidiosis. Poster for Ohio Valley Society of Toxicology.
- Varughese, E.A., Yadav, J.S. 2010. Enhancing Excystation and Epithelial Cell Infectivity of Cryptosporidium parvum. Poster for American Society of Microbiology Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
Eunice A. Varughese
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
27 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268