James D. Wickham
James D. Wickham
Senior Research Biologist
U.S. EPA, National Exposure Research Laboratory.
Tel: (919) 541-3077
Fax: (919) 541-4329
- Ph.D. program Geography, 1996-1997, University of Tennessee
- M.A. Geography, 1984, University of Georgia
- B.S. Biology, 1982, Pennsylvania State University
- B.S. Geography, 1982, Pennsylvania State University
- EPA Director, Multi-Resolution Land Characteristics (MRLC) Consortium - Federal Agency consortium responsible for national land-cover mapping (NLCD, C-CAP, GAP, LANDFIRE).
- Recovery potential of 303(d)-listed (impaired) waters.
- Center for Landscape Pattern Analysis - international consortium (US EPA, US Forest Service, Joint Research Center (JRC) [Ispra, Italy], University of Solento [Lecce, Italy]) focused on interpretation of landscape pattern for environmental assessments.
- Landscape pattern development and interpretation for H. John Heinz Center's "State of the Nation's Ecosystems."
- Editorial Board, Landscape Ecology, 2003-present
- Faculty of 1000 Biology, member Spatial and Landscape Ecology Section
Selected Publications (11 of 56)
WICKHAM, J. D., T. G. WADE, AND K. H. Riitters. An Environmental Assessment of United States Drinking Water Watersheds. LANDSCAPE ECOLOGY. Springer, New York, NY, 7(1):605-616, (2011). Published 5/2/11.
Stepman, S. V., J. D. WICKHAM, L. Fattorini, T. G. WADE, F. Baffetta, AND J. H. Smith. Estimating Accuracy of Land-Cover Composition From Two-Stage Clustering Sampling. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science Ltd, New York, NY, 113(12):1236-1249, (2010). PUBLISHED 02/01/2010.
Riiters, K. H., J. D. WICKHAM, AND T. G. WADE. Evaluating Anthropogenic Risk of Grassland and Forest Habitat Degradation Using Land-Cover Data. Landscape Online. International Association for Landscape Ecology, Chapter Germany, Bonn, Germany, 13:1-14, (2010). PUBLISHED 02/01/2010.
Norton, D. J., J. D. Wickham, T. G. WADE, K. Kunert, J. V. Thomas, and P. Zeph. A Method for Comparative Analysis of Recovery Potential in Impaired Waters Restoration Planning . JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT. Elsevier Science Ltd, New York, NY, 44:356-368, (2009). Published 05/15/2009.
Stephman, S., J. D. Wickham, T. G. Wade, and J. Smith. Designing a Multi-Objective Multi-Support Accuracy Assessment of the 2001 National Land Cover Data (NLCD 2001) of the Conterminous United States. Photogrammetric Engineering and RemoteSensing. American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Bethesda, MD, 74(12):1561-1571, (2008). Published 12/01/2008.
Wicham, J. D. Conterminous National Land-Cover Change Data From NLCD 1992 and NLCD 2001. EPA/600/X-08/017. (TIP # 08-140, Internal Report), Published on 10/20/2008.
Riitters, K., J. D. Wickham, and T. G. Wade. An Indicator Of Forest Dynamics Using A Shifting Landscape Mosaic. (TIP # 08-075, Journal Arctile) F. Muller (ed.), Ecological Indicators. Elsevier Science Ltd, New York, NY, 8(6):1-11, (2008). Published 02/03/2008.
Wickham J.D., Riitters KH, Wade TG, and Coulston JW. 2007. Temporal change in forest fragmentation at multiple scales. Landscape Ecology 22:481-489.
Wickham J.D., Riitters KH, Wade TG, Coan M, and Homer C. 2007. The effect of Appalachian mountaintop mining on interior forest. Landscape Ecology 22:179-187.
Wickham J.D., Nash MS, Wade TG, Currey L. 2006. Statewide empirical modeling of bacterial contamination of surface waters. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 42:583-591.
Wickham J.D., Riitters KH, Wade TG, and Jones KB. 2005. Evaluating the relative roles of ecological regions and land-cover composition for guiding establishment of nutrient criteria. Landscape Ecology 20:791-798.
Wickham J.D., Riitters KH, O'Neill RV, Reckhow KH, Wade TG, and Jones KB. 2001. Invited. Land cover as a framework for assessing risk of water pollution. Water Resources Journal, ST/ESCAP/SER.C/210, September, 2001, United Nations' Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP). Republished with permission from Journal of the American Water Resources Association 36:1-6.